Abreviation a. I. s. d. ?

chrispaulodale

Hello all,

Can anyone heelp me with this abreviation "a. I. s. d.". It's used after a rank title, eg "Hauptmann a. I. s. d.".

I suspect it means the officier in question is still in service but on secondment (in this case to the colonies) but I'm not sure exactly.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Chris

Doesn't appear on the list of German Military Abbreviations http://www.znaci.net/00002/323.pdf

Chaps,

It is à la suite. The “d.” Is just the definite article “der”, “des” depending on the following noun.

Regards
Glenn

Doesn't "a La Suite" mean one after another, or possibly following?
It doesn't seem to make sense after a title or name.

John :?

J.LeBrasseur said:
I am confused, I thought a La Suite meant Royalty in pickelhauben talk?

James

That would make sense. I simply typed a la suite into Google translate and it identified French and said it meant one after another. I don't speak French so I had no idea. It's very interesting that this would mean Royalty --- wonder where that came from?

John :)

Gentlemen,

there are two broad uses of the term in the Prussian system; When first introduced in Prussia, the term was utilised for adjutants and the like attached to higher headquarters and instructors at military schools etc - basically a way of designating officers serving outside their normal regiments but still wearing the uniform of their parent regiment. In addition officers on leave for a long time without salary were designated as à la suite. One often sees seriously or terminally ill officers placed à la suite of their regiments, therefore removing them from the paid establishment and subsequently allowing the appointment and or promotion of another individual into the à la suite officer's slot on the establishment. For the most part, the term was dropped at the turn of the century for this category of officers and replaced by "kommandiert zum/zur/beim" or detached/attached to.

The second and more usually recognised use is that of an honorary position on a par with "Chiefs" of regiments usually for persons of princely rank or general officer status. Further there were generals à la suite to His majesty the Emperor and King. This was the normal progression of senior adjutants - Flügeladjutant - General à suite (normally a Generalmajor) - Generaladjutant. Additionally there were a great number of officers à la suite of the army and navy; princes, counts and high dignitaries who as an honorific were given a position in either the army or the navy (in the case of the army with regimental uniform). Finally one also encounters à la suite officers of the medical corps who were appointed from outstanding surgeons.

Regards
Glenn

Used here in the first usage to denote an extra-regimentally employed officer assigned as an adjutant to an higher formation outside his parent regiment. The death notice of Premier-Lieutenant v. Witzleben, à la suite (supernumerary) to Ulan-Regiment Nr. 9. The extract from the 1885 Rangliste shows a further three officers from UR 9 who were carried à la suite and who were serving at headquarters/institutions away from the regiment.

Regards
Glenn

suite_1.jpg

suite_2.jpg

Thanks John,

and used here in two variations of the second usage of the term. As a reward or honour for princely types and secondly for distinguished civilian medical men. This from 1900

Regards
Glenn

suite_3.jpg

suite_4.jpg

Again from 1900.

Used as a reward/honour for a senior general. Here General der Infanterie Rudolf von Zingler. General von Zingler entered the then Colbergsches Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 9 as a Seconde-Lieutenant from the corps of cadets on 2 May 1857. Some forty plus years later he was honoured by being placed à la suite of his old regiment which allowed him the wear of that regiment's uniform and to be continued to be listed in the annual army lists.

Finally, in the form as understood in its literal translation as "of the court" or retinue (Gefolge): As mentioned earlier, the appointment of General à la suite to the Prussian King and Kaiser followed a previous appointment as a Flügeladjutant. This in turn could lead to a further appointment as a General adjutant. In the example shown from the 1900 Rangliste below, both Generalmajore à la suite von Scholl and von Mackensen went on to become Generaladjutanten. Of the three Flügeladjutanten shown here, Oberst von Jacobi became a General à la suite and Generaladjutant in turn. Majors von Boehn and Freiherr von Berg became Generale à la suite.

Regards
Glenn

suite_5.jpg

suite_6.jpg

Glenn as always, you are a "gold mine" of information! Thanks for your efforts here in this post.

Back