Advice required from the wise ones !

Jock

Hello all you wise fellows,
Next week I am off to Spain for a week of twiddling my thumbs, whilst "her indoors" enjoys a week of Spa treatments. Now I have a new hobby, I thought that I may use my time more enjoyably and interestingly looking for Pickelhaube or helmets generally, around the various shops, bazzars, etc. The only problem is that I do not know if this seemingly infertile ground has anything to offer.
What say you ? Is there anything likely to be found in Spain ? If so what should I be looking out for ?
Any tips would be most welcome. Remember, I know nothing !
Regards,
Jock.
P.S. Anyone got a 10cm inside backing plate for an M95 ?

Jock,

I was in Spain about 8 years ago and attempted the same thing. For the most part if you stay in the largest cities you will find some Military dealers. I would say the chance of finding, if anything at all, would be there and priced accordingly. Please bear in mind that Spain did use a Pickelhaube once upon a time for thier Presidential/Royal Cavalry Guard Units. These pieces can command high prices in Spain as they where a small unit. To summarize, chance of finding authentic Prussian era Pickelhaube are very slim, Spanish versions are there but your price and mileage may vary and finally I saw lots of WW2 German gear around, I passed those right up since I got the feeling alot of it was repro.

You will find some really nice deals on Toledo blades tho.

Good Luck,

John

I was in Spain in '80. There was a very heavy presence of Repro blades, in the form of daggers & swords. All were of Spanish origin. Mostly all were 3rd Reich. All looked pretty darned good. They were all over, I never found a militaria dealer. Just be aware if you like swords or knives. I don't remember if there was anything Imperial looking. Not all, but alot of the sellers were claiming they were original.

Thank you, oh wise ones.
I will have a pad around and see what is on offer. If I see something of interest, I will fire a posting on the Forum off, seeking your advice.
If I take my Digital camera, you may also be treated to some fairly hoorific photographs if my history is anything to go by.
But, thank you all anyway for taking the time to reply so promptly.
Regards,
Jock

Back