All Quiet on the Western Front

Lost Skeleton

On February 6, without much fanfare, Universal issued a newly mastered DVD of All Quiet on the Western Front. The 35mm elements for the new master have been restored by the Film and Photographic Division of the Library of Congress. Previous releases of All Quiet in the Beta, VHS, and Laser Disc, formats utilized a censored archival print from the British Film Institute. Significant footage cut by the UK censor included the scene in which Paul Baumer and his comrades rendezvous with three French women and exchange food for more earthly considerations.

When All Quiet was released in 1930, the film's running time was approximately 150 minutes. Universal sold the rights to All Quiet as part of a package deal with a subsidiary distributor, Realart Pictures Incorporated, in the 1950s. The genuises at Realart then cut All Quiet to 103 minutes (excising more than 31 percent of its original running time). For decades, this was the only print available to the public

The sole virtue of the truncated Realart print was that it retained the censored footage. When MCA (the former parent company of Universal) first issued All Quiet on Beta and VHS in the early 1980s, the master was the Realart 103 minute version. After years of petitioning by film historians, MCA upgraded its source material to the censored UK print. After further lobby, MCA/Universal combined the Realart and UK prints to restore All Quiet to a running time of 130 minutes. However, the quality of the Realart elements was vastly inferior to the UK material, and the hybrid mating of the two was annoyingly perceptable.

Finally, I believe we've seen the ultimate restoration of this cinematic masterwork. For further explanation of the restoration and a side by side comparison, the following link is extremely helpful:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews28/all_quiet_on_the_western_front.htm

Unfortunately, the packaging of the new DVD is remarkably pedestrian. The artwork incorporates an anachronistic WWII U.S. Browning machine gun squad wearing M1 steel helmets.

If one has a Costco in his vicinity, the low price for this DVD is $8.69. I wholeheartedly endorse it.

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Paul Baumer and his comrades rendezvous with three French women and exchange food for more earthly considerations.

Not sure what you mean, could explain this please? :la:

Now don't get excited; and you'll probably think this is blasphemy.......

But having seen both many times, I still prefer the 1979 version.

Hi R1 and Tony:

It has been years since I've seen the impressive Delbert Mann TV remake. I have a copy somewhere in my collection and will make it a point to screen it after the SOS.

How could anyone knock a film with Ernest Borgnine and Donald Pleasence in the supporting cast?

Chas.

Chas I bought a VHS copy several years ago and a DVD copy last year both had the rondevous with the french girls. The DVD version has a fiew interesting add on's .
Tony no offence , I line ernest Bornine but I did not like the remake.
I find itsimilar to watching Zulu and Zulu dawn . The original Zulu is better and more accurate to uniform and weapons .
Mark

Hi Mark:

If you purchased your DVD in 2006, the master is identical to the one originally released by Universal on 5 January 1999. The sequence involving the French girls is complete in that version, but, as I said above, it is reconstructed from two prints of vastly differing quality, the BFI master and Realart re-release from the 1950s. IMO it looks dreadful.

The new restoration was most likely sourced from the U.S. copyright positive at the Library of Congress. It is a completely new, progressive transfer from newly restored source materials hitherto unavailable. It looks better, sounds better, and the upgrade is definitely worth having.

Chas.

Would be nice to see a Europen advisor to the film and not Dale Dye.I am not a fan of his .I did a film he was the military advisor for. :twisted: Hopefully it is a decent picture.
Mark

For some reason I too find Dale Dye annoying. I think it's because he sees everything through the filter of his Marine Corps experience, and either misses or ignores the details, nuances and attitudes of the other services. I find myself groaning when I see his name in the credits.
Steve

I find it kind of distressing to read:

"The pair are penning a screenplay based on the 75-year old novel that has a "gritty, journalistic approach" and will, controversially, only use the novel as a starting point. the book was previously translated into an Oscar winning film in 1930.

"By creating new storylines ourselves, we believe this modern rendition will encompass greater depth and historical context, but still remain congruent with the spirit of Erich Maria Remarque's work" said Paterson in a press release issued today.

How is it 2 guys living in the 21st century think that they can do better than Remarque, who was himself THERE living & fighting in the trenches. I love the book, liked the original 1930 movie, ( would rather see a colorized and upgraded version of that!), and kinda liked John Boy & McHale in the TV version. I hope that they will not change the story so much that we will not recognize Paul Baumer or Kat except by name only. I would rather that they stick with the original storyline and use modern technology to make it as realistic as possible, like they would have done in 1930 if they were technically able to back then.

My 2 cents. I will hope for the best though!

Today the sweeping epic means CGI .and maybe 100 or so real people.
Hollywood did a good job in 1928 , but today ,I can not see it.
The Book is the beter sealist format but .I agree with you HOPE for the best .
Zippey

Wyliecoyote said:
( would rather see a colorized and upgraded version of that!)

As a movie buff this is my true nightmare scenario: old films are "upgraded." Imagine the originoal All Quiet on the Western Front with thousands of CGI scenes, in color and with pounding 5.1 surround sound. I can see how many would get excited, but that's not the film we need. And it is one thing when George Lucas or Steven Spielberg tweak their own films, but I would hate to see others "improve" old classics.

As for a remake, yeah, I'm not sure what to say. I guess I don't complain too much. You don't have to go see it. I'm not surprised this is happening. With the 100th anniversary of the war coming up, I'm sure we'll see a number of films. On the plus side at least it gets people interested.

I have read on anothe forum Peter Jackson was to do a mojour WW1 film and it is now cancelled. He is now doing Dam Buster's remake.
May be rumor .
After seeing the 2nd most famous flying Lancaster it is kinda hard to get exited about a movie.
zippey

zipperheads9 said:
I have read on anothe forum Peter Jackson was to do a mojour WW1 film and it is now cancelled. He is now doing Dam Buster's remake.
May be rumor .
After seeing the 2nd most famous flying Lancaster it is kinda hard to get exited about a movie.
zippey

The last news on the Peter Jackson WW1 movie, was it was going to be a WW1 zombie flick!

Back