Amazingly nice helmets -- quite a treat

joerookery

I had to decide whether to put these in separate threads or keep them altogether. These come from the same gentleman who sent us the 13th Jager pictures. They are amazing.

20th Hussar
20%20HUS.jpg
Reserve officer Bavarian second Ulan.
Bav%20UL2R.jpg
Dragoon Regiment number three. Note the bow tie and chicken and take a good look at the cockade rosettes.
DR3.jpg
Guard Jager shako.
Garde%20Jager.jpg

I have to publicly thank our donor and publicly apologize to Mike Huxley for making his head explode.

It goes to show there really are some incredible collections out there. Almost enough to get a guy to collect officer helmets (almost......)

Brian also has a very nice Husaren Regt Nr. 20 Pelzmütze, but there is a better chance of me growing wings than him actually posting photos........ (Hey Brian?) :wink:

Hey Tony,
I have an airplane that I will sell you, maybe that would get Brian to post photos.
Gus

joerookery said:
and publicly apologize to Mike Huxley for making his head explode.

Joe, all I can say is

Absolutely fantastic collection there .... if this goes on I'll have to sell the wife .... re-mortgage the house ....and live of leftovers in order to ever reach a standard like that.

All right von Schnurr, I shall take up the gauntlet and post pics this weekend of my OR 20th Hussar providing I can persuade Margo to give me some time off from painting. It is amazing how we collectors begin to think about selling off the wife and kids when we see helmets that we want! Many thanks for posting this Joe...I have never seen another 2oth prior to this. Brian

It may not be considered the most "valueable" piece of headgear shown, but in my mind that Grenadier-Regt. zu Pferde Nr. 3 has got to be the rarest helmet I've seen! Aside from the correct wappen in silver, the fixed chinscale rosettes and flaming bombs (used only by this regiment) are amazing. By the way, is the helmet unit marked inside?

Dave

Hang on to your heads! This is amazing, clear, something I have never seen before.
DR3%20lug.jpg

attached is a composite photo showing the chinstrap attachment mechanism on the DR3 helmet. I think a lot of folks will be surprised at the way it is made. Very special M91 side lug. The chinscales are standard EM style scales with the nickel cap sweated on. The images should be pretty self explanatory. Upper left is the lug with flames, upper right is attachment method to helmet. lower 3 are front, side and back of the chinscale.

There is for sure no losing the kokardes from this helmet, in addition to being behind the lug/flame, the screw stud on the back of the flame goes through the very top of the kokarde.
I always thought I cockade with a small hole in it. In addition to the center hole was for an 1887 model OR helmet. Perhaps there were different kinds?

Joe

Great information on a subject I have never seen discussed! I would guess the original owner of this helmet never thought he would rise to Unteroffizier mit Portepee......

Dave

As promised some pics of my 20HR busby. This Regt was not formed until 1910 so I suspect that unlike some of the other traditional Regts that there are fewer pieces from this group still in existence.
This piece was picked up from an antique mall in Toronto and it was one of those few occaisions in the "treasure hunt" that make it all worth while. I asked the dealer to show me a WW2 medal that had caught my eye. He was using a glass top show case as a counter. When I went to put the medal back on the counter I looked down and saw this baby. I could hardly believe my eyes. Who would have though it...a Saxon Hussar busby in down town Toronto!! The dealer was not sure if this was an original so I got it for a very reasonable price.
The piece is ink stamped 20 HR on the inside and punch stamped the same on the top underneath the blue bag which of course is removable. The red horse hair plume is original to the piece. This may indicate musician. Randy T years ago stated that this plume was incorrect but it fits perfectly and will remain with the busby as long as I own it. Regards, Brian

Haloween2005014.jpg

Haloween2005015.jpg

Haloween2005020.jpg

Back