American Sun Helmet

Peter_Suciu

I thought I'd kick off the General Headgear section, by showing off my little American sun helmets. These were used for about 25 years or so at the end of the 19th century.

Several books suggest these were British made, but after doing a lot of digging, I personally have come to the conclusion that most were likely made in Philadelphia or elsewhere in the United States. These are four seam helmets, and the British never used four seam... their helmets were six seam. So that alone makes me wonder why these would be different. I think the pattern was bought, and then the American makers simplified the process.

The white pattern:
american_pith_big1.jpg

The tan pattern. These were also used in Cuba, but mostly hated by the troops:
american_m81_big1.jpg

I'll take one of the white ones please!! A great example of how even Uncle Sam copied the German spike after their victory over the French in 1871. Go Bismark!! You mention 6 panel VS 4 here Peter what about the liners any difference inside? Brian

The big difference is the liners is that the British used a zig/zag pattern to support the liners to offer ventilation, while the US helmets typically used cork bumpers. But later British helmets did use bumpers as well.

In fact, this is how you can tell a real period helmet from a movie/theater prop. The later helmets, including the various lodge hats that get sold as sun helmets, had the liner band mounted to the side panels of the helmet. This doesn't provide any ventilation, but that wasn't so important with props.

I'll post some photos soon.

I just picked up this near mint American Model 1881 Sun Helmet. I've never seen such a nice example. This must have never been issued.

American1881_white1.jpg

American1881_white2.jpg

American1881_white3.jpg

keoki7 said:
Peter, what is the approximate value of an 1881 like the one you have shown? Thanks, George

Hi George--
I paid $200, which is a real bargain. The British helmets (as Stuart will attest) are far more expensive today. These American helmets haven't ever been considered especially collectible but the prices are rising.

The problem also is that too many are messed with... thanks in no small part to the Bannerman catalog. Lodges, fraternal organizations and even bands used these helmets. Plates were added, etc.

I'm pleased to have a nice clean white example as well as the plain khaki example. The artillery one is nice too. That one was a real steal. I think I paid $100 for it many years ago.

Peter,

how about an interior shot of your Royal Navy Wolseley as doesn't it have another method of ventilation?

Here is my post 1953 Aussie Wolseley which has leather strips stitched to the headband and shell to provide ventialtion.

Stuart
AustralianWolseley005.jpg

Here is another Wolseley... this has a unique liner system too. Basically there are no spaces but string pulls the liner band and uses tension to keep it centered to provide ventilation.

british_wolseley2_big2.jpg

I picked up a couple more American helmets. These are both New York National Guard. This is the Model 1880 pattern, but probably made later.

american_m1880_big1.jpg

american_m1880_big2.jpg

american_m1880_big3.jpg

This is another variation of the Model 1880 pattern:
american_m1880b_big1.jpg

american_m1880b_big2.jpg

american_m1880b_big3.jpg

Back