Amoskeag and Julia Auctions

ottodog8

I hope everyone has seen the upcoming Amoskeag and Julia auctions. Julia has the Douglas Buhler collection and Amoskeag has Craig Brown's collection. Some very interesting helmets. Craig was more of a weapons guy as am I, but he had some decent helmets. In both auctions, there are helmets I would have doubts about, but there are also some beauties. Both catalogs are available on line, I would be curious to know what other members think.
Both auctions are within driving distance of me (once I cross the water to the mainland) so I may attend the Julia auction for the weapons.

Steve

Didn't look too closely at the Julia auctions just noticed some were described as restorations. The Amoskeag auction is more interesting to me because I will be there. Here are some thoughts:

#302 Prussian M1889 Uhlan Officer's Tshcapka.... with a M1915 shell?

#304 Prussian enlisted man's 6th Line Hussars Busby... haven't looked too closely, but the fur looks suspect, an enlisted Model without M91 posts? Could be OYV I suppose.

#628 Prussian Ersatz Infantry Felt Helmet.... with leather edging all around?

#1186 Rare German "Turkish" Visorless Helmet.... from the pics, I don't like the rim.

#1187 German M16 Stalhelm with Disruptive Pattern Camouflage.... bears close study in hand. If this is real, this may interest me.

#1347 German M16 Stalhelm with Prussian First Foot Guard Regiment Marking.... At first I was excited about this one as I am actively looking for one of these. The more I studied the markings the more doubtful I became. Then I read the description, one of the liner pads "showing a very neat black ink stamping "1 Garderegiment/Zu Fuss 1916". Not for me.

#1350 Rare German M18 "Cavalry" Scalloped Side Helmet With Camouflage.... If it's real, a very nice helmet. Looks suspiciously similar in pattern and wear to #1187. Bears closer study.

That's it for now. I haven't studied them too closely because most of them don't interest me, this is just what I noticed from a quick look. Having said that, there are some very nice helmets here. I will pick them up and look at them during the viewing. Two scarce M1915 artillery helmets, and some others I think are very nice. I will look closely at the Garde Reserve Officers helmet with the Busch. I am going more to look at weapons however. If I come home with a helmet or two, it will be a booby prize for me.

Steve

I looked at both auctions. I really wanted to attend the Amoskeag auction, as there were some things I wanted, and I liked Craig. But, it was a 14- hour trip, and I had just worked the Baltimore MACA Show the weekend before.

I would have liked to have handled some of the pre-1900 firearms. Many of the WWII non-firearms stuff had issues, especially the helmets. The FJ ones were fakes.

I did a bid form, and it looks like I got the one Imperial uniform I really wanted; the Garde Schützen grouping.

Amoskeag printed up a massive book for the auction too. They were giving out copies at the Baltimore Antique Arms Show last week. I gave the copy I picked up to a friend. I have to say that the cost to print that book wouldn't be cheap, so they must expect some serious bidders.

Back