An Extraordinary WW1 Website

kaiserzeit

Good Morning, Everyone,

I have come on a most interesting website. It will not be everyone's cup of tea as, on first impression, it has a pacifistic leaning.

From what I have seen thus far, it is not. Rather it is a compilation by a Dutch journalist, Rob Ruggenber, who has tried to examine WW1 from the common man's point of view.

In point of fact it is very balanced and brutally honest which, unfortunately, far too many find hard to take.

In his own words:

"I am not a pacifist, nor a communist, nor a liberal; I am just myself."

It is rather complicated to navigate but is truly an interesting site to explore:

http://www.greatwar.nl/index.html

All the best,

Laurie

Hi Laurie,
I have seen this site, and I agree with you, but anytime you take a logical view of a war, the pacifist view seems to come to the front as there is so much waste and distruction of life and property.
Best wishes
Gus

Hey Laurie, for a very brief time, I was very happy you posted the link, as I did not have it on my current computer, but moments later, we had a power bump, and it fried my modem, so now I am back on my steam powered machine where I have all my old links, oh well. He has added much since the last time I visited.
Best wihsese
Gus

Hi Gus,

Sorry your modem got fried.

You might want to check out some of the newer power filters that are out there. They not only guard against spikes entering your system via your electrical connections (you can hook up all of your PC's peripherals to them via a power stick), many of them come with a special buffer circuit for your network and phone lines so you can't get zapped that way, either.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Laurie

Thanks for the advice Laurie, but we did have protection, it was fried too, along with a caller ID box on another line. We have to replace the surge protectors every now and then, but this is the first time the problem has gotten past the protection.
Gus

Back