An M17 directly from heaven...

Adler

Guess what happens when you see this helmet on a militaria show, just sitting in a pile of rather salty helmets… The price tag is a piece of painters tape with the (very low) price written on it with a thick black marker…

First you think some children have been playing with some paint, you also notice that one of the liner rivets is missing, then you wonder if you should take it in your hands… then you take it in your hands… then your heart rate starts getting up (really fast)… then you look at everything you should look at and set up your best poker face!

After the ultimate question “what’s your best price?” the seller goes down something like 25% because the one rivet is missing… Then take out your wallet and pay the guy (poker face still on)… Then you go at least 100m further and ask someone to hold you up because fainting is really close. A few minutes later you drink a nice beer! After that you can drive home with a huge smile on your face!

What did I check?

- Original shell: ok
- Original paint: present inside and between camo splotches
- Makers stamp: faint TJ stamp, size unreadable but present
- Liner: original with makers stamps in red ink on the liner tongues
- Liner rivets: one missing, two others with camo paint matching the rest of the surrounding areas
- Lot N°: not visible due to some rusty surface inside the helmet
- Wearer’s name: on the visor with black paint, some initials on inside of the dome
- Original camo paint: normal wear for a helmet in this condition
- Chinstrap: original in almost mint condition, matching leather of the liner
- Drawstring: looks to “fluffy”, but what the heck!
- Other stamps: size stamp 68 and AK stamps on the neck guard, a bit faint maybe but nevertheless present
- General appearance: must have it on my shelf!
- Price: much too low to be a fake (let’s say it was the price of an empty shell…)
- Seller: looks very trust worthy
- Feeling: very good

One doesn’t get that lucky every day I think… what’s your opinion gentlemen?

Adler

thats one with a big very big huntch for breath
i havent seen sutch sort of camo
yet :-"
nice one

jonas

I have no clue as to the camo itself but the inside looks all legit with a very good liner.

And the fact it came with such a great chinstrap makes my eyes quite watery... :cry:

Congrats Karel! =D>

You lucky bird ,you gonna wear that on your bike ? :D

Enjoyed reading your post, gives an insight in you collectors brain.

Thank you guys!

Is it possible to see a photo of the back of the pads?
Sorry, to do that I would have to untie the liner cord and I don't wanna do that to avoid any possible damage...

thats one with a big very big huntch for breath
i havent seen sutch sort of camo
I'm not sure what exactly you mean with "a very big huntch for breath"...
Ed posted a nice period picture of a helmet with this type of camo.

I have no clue as to the camo itself but the inside looks all legit with a very good liner.
And the fact it came with such a great chinstrap makes my eyes quite watery...
Trust me Ron, the camo is very legit... Hope you could get yer eyes dry again...

You lucky bird ,you gonna wear that on your bike ?
Nahhh, birds don't wear helmet :-" ... Thanks for that picture Ed!

Adler said:
Nahhh, birds don't wear helmet :-" ...

That is true… however,…every now and then I spot one flying by with a crown strapped on its head. :happy3:

That is a super find i love those unusual camo patterns the chinstrap is also a topper and size 68 is hard to find well done :bravo:

That's a great find. Congrats on it.

Every once in a while we find something that is a true deal. It makes up for all those times when you pick up a helmet and the price is so high you can't justify the cost!

Thank you very much gents!
It's so true that we need an increadible find now and then, just to keep us sharp. Maybe that's what they mean with 'thrill of the hunt"? Maybe it' also a kind of satisfaction and confirmation or so?

Adler

Beautifull Item! :D

I saw some like that in some Militarie's exchange, but mostly, the buyers were skeptical because of the way
the camo was made. Camo for a Stahlhelm collector is mostly meaning 'Turtle' Camo.. I'll know now that it is existing! Thanks :cheers:

Adler, thank you for showing us your new prize. That is a super one of a kind helmet any collector would love to have. Does this patern have any particular association with a unit, or time frame? or is this the just particular painters taste? John

Back