Another "Ersatz": a helmet of un 0ffizierstellvertreter 1914-15

CLOVIS 57

The temporary assistant officer helmets appointed at the front can be considered as "Ersatz", in the sense that they are often hybrids between "troop" and "officer".
Unlike the headgear of Einjähriger or other Freiwilliger, Fähnrich, Unteroffizier-Portepée, Fahnenträger, Musikmeister and so on, the helmets of 0ffizierstellvertreter are helmets generally issued from the "Kammer", in officer's version (equipped by the B.A. of the attributes and trimmings of the officer). It is for example the reverse of a helmet of a one year enlisted man, Extra-Helm of private purchase, in superior quality finishes, but "troop" trimmings. (tip without "officer" Perlring, troop roundels, no stars but rivets).

Indeed, the "Stellvertreter", did not belong to the active officer corps, that is to say to the caste of the "graduates-certified" of the school of the cadets, unique formation of the active officer corps of the imperial Army. The translation of the name can be translated as deputy (# of subaltern) or substitute. In fact, to be compared with the provisional second lieutenant of the French army, it was mainly a question of promoting the most senior and competent Feldwebel or Wachtmeister, to replace the deficiency at the front of a defective Leutnant (missing, wounded or killed)

Given the suddenness of the promotion, and the fact that the headgear remained a field and service helmet, not a ceremonial headdress, there were two options:

---Either the B.A. exchanged the "troop" or "Unteroffizier" trimmings with the officer's on the newly promoted's old "Kammer" helmet.
---or the B.A. exchanged the old Feldwebel helmet, with a new officer's helmet, still property of the army, thus still a "Kammer" helmet.

Here is a helmet with a point of Offizierstellvertreter of the GR89 IIB infantry battalion of Strelitz. It is nominative.
It is not a private purchasing helmet, or trade. It is a Kammer helmet. The chinstrap is a M91 with scales "troop". The shell, the front visor ring, the liner are standard-Kammer. On the other hand the tip, the roundels and the stars are "0fficer".

This helmet is not an Extra-Helm Eigentum for ceremonies but a field helmet, with distinctive attributes of the officer.
The roundels are models 15 "officer", they are broached between the hull and the post side. The advantage is that you don't lose them when you change the scale visor for the "troop" type leather visor
89GIIB Bibi 0fStellvertreter.JPG89G IIB Bibi 0K.GIF89GII Bibi~ OfStellvertreter.JPG89G IIB Bibi--.JPG89G IIB Bibi-.JPG89GII Bibi_ 0fStellvertreter.JPG89GII Bibi_ OfStellvertreter.JPG89GII Bibi___ 0fStellvertreter.JPG

Last edited:
Nice helmet.

I know nothing about the regulations and practices to issuing helmets. It makes since. Ive seen period photos of 0ffizierstellvertreter waring enlisted helmets in the field so Im sure they would wear upgraded issue helmets.

Here it is with its officer's helmet cover, which allows to erase the "troop" aspect of this helmet.
As said, it is nominative, in Kanzleischrift or Sutterlin. I had my mother decipher it but I have to make her read it again because I didn't write it down. At the time, Philippe (Argonne) had been able to find the trace of the person concerned and had told me that it was a Compagnie-Feldwebel who had been appointed 0ffizierstellvertreter in 1915. Note the specific anchoring device of the post side M15 Officer.

Attachments

• CIMG6197.JPG
    CIMG6197.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • CIMG6198.JPG
    CIMG6198.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • CIMG6201.JPG
    CIMG6201.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Here it is with its officer's helmet cover, which allows to erase the "troop" aspect of this helmet.
As said, it is nominative, in Kanzleischrift or Sutterlin. I had my mother decipher it but I have to make her read it again because I didn't write it down. At the time, Philippe (Argonne) had been able to find the trace of the person concerned and had told me that it was a Compagnie-Feldwebel who had been appointed 0ffizierstellvertreter in 1915. Note the specific anchoring device of the post side M15 Officer.
Vizefeldwebel der Reserve with the function of an Offizierstellvertreter Otto PETERS, 5/GR89, KIA in Carlepont, December 1914:

Philippe

Back