Any vintage military comic book readers/collectors?

Peter_Suciu

I am doing a story on collectible comics for an outlet, and I'm trying to find some readers/collectors of these titles. The ones like The Haunted Tank, Sgt. Rock, etc.

If i can help Peter I will . I do not collect this series but I did as a kid ( as I imagine alot of other member;s did) . I know they were released in the 70's , Seem to remember anoter series dealing with " our Army and Our Marines.
Mark

Hi Peter:

I read, and still own, some of the following:

G.I. Combat Featuring the Haunted Tank
Star Spangled War Stories
Sgt. Rock
The Losers
Weird War Tales
Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos
Enemy Ace

Fire away!

Chas.

Should anyone be curious, I pulled out representative examples of the titles listed above. I imagine comics thematically linked to warfare would be very politically incorrect in this modern age of enlightenment. I began reading real literature for pleasure at eleven; therefore, none of these date past 1975. The fascination seems to have lost its appeal with the emergence of UPC bar coding on the cover.

My favorite artists were Russ Heath and John Severin. Joe Kubert provided most of the DC cover art.

GI-Combat.jpg

Unknown-Soldier.jpg

Sgt-Rock.jpg

Losers164.jpg

Weird-War.jpg

Sgt-Fury.jpg

Chas.

I use to read all of those as well back in the late 60's and early 70's.

Wish I still had them!

James

As the usual story goes , my mother got rid of my collection during a move( also lost a piece of kit , my uncle's Regimental Coloured overseas cap) .
Ah the memories flooded back with all those cover's
Mark

For my story I picked up a few old favorites. This one dates to 1952. Can you guess why I might have liked it?

TwoFistedTales.jpg

What an awesome cover! I see the artist is the same John Severin responsible for Sgt. Fury #139 above.

Chas. :thumb up:

I read those comics to. Read them on rainy days in the summertime. I kept my stuff in good condition. My comic books in a box, along with a bunch discarded by friends & neighbors. Right next to a huge shopping bag (the kind with thin rope handles) that was filled with stacks of rubber banded baseball, basketball, football cards from the late fifties to early seventies. My neighbors on both sides had 3 sons, all older than myself.

When I joined the Marines after High School, my Mom pitched them into the trash. Oh well!

You Gotta love your MOM. I love Mine when She makes everyone elses collectiuon worth more by throwing out mine . just kidding .
Mark :D

I collected military themed comics as a teenager in the 1960s. I still have Sgt.Rock, Sergeant Fury, Captain Dude, U.S Marines, DC War Stories and of course, Thor, Iron Man, Fantastic Four, Dr.Strange, etc. Could never quite get myself to throw them away.

Chip

Back