Anybody Collecting Nazi Daggers ?

pickelhauben

Hey guys,
Before I started collecting pickelhaubes I was slightly into Nazi Daggers.
I had an Army, Airforce , Red Cross hewer and an SA dagger.
I sold all in order to start financing my pickelhaube collection.
I have gotten the bug again and am starting back with an Army dagger purchased from the Wittman collection.
Is anybody else into the hobby ?

Same as you that is where I started, but sold all for spiked helmets, have not got back into them yet....

James

I did at one time
but would never go back
Many fakes and put togethers
I would not trust myself
plus now too old to change directions
or add something different
Steve

my focus has always been on Headgear and field gear, however I have looked into daggers, I decided that they are far too pricy to even have a smaller side collection, I figure I am letting someone who really wants them, have them. Good luck on your journey.

Like a lot of the older collectors I too started collecting 3rd Reich, probably because my father and most of his friends served.

In my late twenties I switched to the Imperial era because I got tired of convincing people I was just interested in the German Army not the NSDAP. Now have only 3rd Reich era Stahlhelms to show the evolution of German Army headgear from 1867 to 1945. A 1917 Transitional, a pattern 1935, a pattern 1940 and a pattern 1942.

Well, I do have a lovely 2nd pattern Kreigsmarine Officers dagger with a pristine portepee. I just like the look of that model dagger. I also collect Canadian Great War medals as well as Pickehaubes and Imperial Shooting prizes.

Maybe I just have trouble focusing. I haerd that back in high school. ;)

I have owned two very briefly….an Army and an SA. I only bought them here in Canada to flog them at the SOS. 😃

Yes indeed there are sooooo many fakes out there.
I have been told of several OLD collections of being made up with almost all fakes.
So I have decided to stay with only a handful of dealers well known in the hobby.
First Thomas Wittman he wrote the book on nazi daggers
My first dagger ( Army) will be coming from him and should be here next week.

I only have two but they are currently not in my possession, my uncle in Germany has them in his basement. He gave them to me years ago but I've never felt comfortable bringing them to the USA.

They were buried in the yard when the Russians came and stayed there with a few other things until 1992 because owning them or a gun would land you in jail and the Stasi were always on the hunt.

Funny my parents came to America for freedom, things sure are changing.

I have 12 or so mostly from the woodwork SA's Army Luftwaffe nice and simple all solid. Rob

I only had one in my collection, years ago, when I still collected Third Reich militaria. An SA one, made after Röhm was liquidated.
So without his signature. It never had that, the ones that did, mostly had it ground off. Originals can be found though, still with it on.

Back