ANZAC Day

Thank you for this link Pete. My grandfather John Foster was at Gallipoli serving with the Highland Light Infantry during this campaign. Fortunately, he survived and went on to serve in Egypt and ultimately France.

Last edited:
Here's a video, posted on our Dutch news site, about the Anzac day in Australia.
It is a commemoration of all victims of the wars, but specifying Anzac day.
Sorry for the Dutch language, but all of you can understand what its about. English is also spoken by the way.

Regards, Coert.

talking about anzac day:
in my collection there is a pith helmet worn by lieutenant Furby, of the New Zealand army who served at Gallipoli,
he survived and during the war he wrote in pencil al the locations he stayed like anzac cove Alexander cairo ,

I'm on holliday now, but if someone is interested I can post some photo's of the helmet and its inscriptions next week.

michiel

as promised some photo's of the interior of a identified New Zealand Pith Hat that saw Gallipoli,

see details I recieved when I bought the helmet: (2018)

Major Eugene Furby . Furby served with the Wellington Infantry regiment under Colonel Malone of Chunak Bair fame. Furby was wounded in the right knee at Gallipoli & evacuated to England .

The Pith Hat in good overall condition still rigid . Remnant of Red cloth Officer Staff Corps badge to side .Furby has written eveywhere he went to inside of hat .There are 22 destinations written to interior staring at New Zealand & including ANZAC (Gallipoli) Cairo , Gibraltar , London etc . Hat is named to Furby .Furby is mentioned in Dairies of several prominent New Zealand WW1 commanders.

Provenance, 10/657 Major William Furby died in Christchurch 1981. His WW1 hat was found at local market by long time militaria collector, Robert Manning (deceased).

Furby was twice wounded at Gallipoli 6/5/1915 and 7/8/1915. Please find attached 2 x links to Furby's WW1 Service.

Attachments

• Furby papers1.png
    Furby papers1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • Furbypapers2.png
    Furbypapers2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • Furbypapers3.png
    Furbypapers3.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
  • Furbypapers4.png
    Furbypapers4.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Furbypapers5.png
    Furbypapers5.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Furby3.jpeg
    Furby3.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Furby1.jpeg
    Furby1.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Furby2.jpeg
    Furby2.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 10
as promised some photo's of the interior of a identified New Zealand Pith Hat that saw Gallipoli,

Major Eugene Furby . Furby served with the Wellington Infantry regiment under Colonel Malone of Chunak Bair fame. Furby was wounded in the right knee at Gallipoli & evacuated to England .

The Pith Hat in good overall condition still rigid . Remnant of Red cloth Officer Staff Corps badge to side .Furby has written eveywhere he went to inside of hat .There are 22 destinations written to interior staring at New Zealand & including ANZAC (Gallipoli) Cairo , Gibraltar , London etc . Hat is named to Furby .Furby is mentioned in Dairies of several prominent New Zealand WW1 commanders.

Provenance, 10/657 Major William Furby died in Christchurch 1981. His WW1 hat was found at local market by long time militaria collector, Robert Manning (deceased).

Furby was twice wounded at Gallipoli 6/5/1915 and 7/8/1915. Please find attached 2 x links to Furby's WW1 Service.
... not only a well-preserved pith helmet, but an astonishing record of one soldier war time postings... simply marvelous!!

Cheers,

David

talking about anzac day:
in my collection there is a pith helmet worn by lieutenant Furby, of the New Zealand army who served at Gallipoli,
he survived and during the war he wrote in pencil al the locations he stayed like anzac cove Alexander cairo ,

I'm on holliday now, but if someone is interested I can post some photo's of the helmet and its inscriptions next week.

michiel
yes pease that would be great

That is amazing, if you ever wish to repatriate it let me know.
Regards
Andrew

Interestingly enough Michiel, I know of two more such helmets here in NZ. A friend has one with the names of soldiers inside the helmet much like yours with place names. Most were KIA, the owner brought the helmet home to Christchurch and it eventually came into a private collection direct from the family. I believe the owner was an officer also, and the second Im aware of is in a small museum at Collingwood in, Golden Bay. Again this is in the South Island, this helmet has the names and places listed on the exterior of the helmet and belonged to a local. Collingwood and Golden Bay in general are quite isolated parts of NZ, and would have been extremely isolated around the Great War period.
Very interesting to see a third as the two I have been privileged to examine are very interesting snapshots in time indeed.

Interestingly enough Michiel, I know of two more such helmets here in NZ. A friend has one with the names of soldiers inside the helmet much like yours with place names. Most were KIA, the owner brought the helmet home to Christchurch and it eventually came into a private collection direct from the family. I believe the owner was an officer also, and the second Im aware of is in a small museum at Collingwood in, Golden Bay. Again this is in the South Island, this helmet has the names and places listed on the exterior of the helmet and belonged to a local. Collingwood and Golden Bay in general are quite isolated parts of NZ, and would have been extremely isolated around the Great War period.
Very interesting to see a third as the two I have been privileged to examine are very interesting snapshots in time indeed.
thank you very much,
I really like this kind of personalized items, they make history come to life!

That is amazing, if you ever wish to repatriate it let me know.
Regards
Andrew
No real plans to repatriate the Pith helmet, but I do think these kind of items should be disclosed to the public, if the army museum would be interested in NZ I would consider borrowing it to them bu only if it were in display in the museum, not if it were to be stowed away in depot.

Back