Article on Experimental Helmets

Peter_Suciu

I saw that Military Trader has reposted online an old article I wrote on experimental helmets. This article doesn't come close to the excellent job that Chris Armold did in his book Steel Pots (which still remains the bible of course), nor what Dr. Bashford Dean had written. But as a primer on the subject I think it works.

Consider this the Experiement Helmets 101 required reading, while Armold and Dean are the master's level reading:
http://www.militarytrader.com/military-trader-news/american-experimental-helmets-from-wwi?et_mid=528221&rid=3374514" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed the article Peter. First time I ever saw a photo of the Liberty Bell helmet. As soon as I saw it, I was reminded of the East German Modell B/II, which was designed in 1944. As visually unappealing as it may be, it could have possibly provided the wearer better protection. According to Ludwig Baer's History of the German Steel helmet, tests were conducted in 1939, with captured Polish, French, British helmets and the German M35 helmet. They were all shot at with 5.56mm rifle rounds, all were pierced, but the British helmet was penetrated through both walls of the Brodie helmets.

The Liberty Bell helmet just might have provided the Doughboys ballistically super protection than the M1917 afforded, just as the German B/II was ballistically supperior to the M35, 40, 42 helmets.

That's a very good article Peter! This cought my interest, because I know a model n° 5 for sale at the moment. The outside still has 95% of the light brown rough sand finish and the liner is still in place but the front pad was torn and reglued one day. The liner is like the german M17 style and is besides the repair in very good condition. There's no chinstrap present. Imo this is still very good for an experimental helmet... or am I wrong in this case?
Now I have this rather important question of course... How much do you knowledgable gentlemen think that this helmet can be worth? I know nothing about these things because I actually collect pickelhauben and other old german stuff as you know...
Nevertheless I recently started to collect helmets from other counties too... but I'm still learning a lot every day, so please help me out here...

Thanks in advance,

Adler

Adler said:
That's a very good article Peter! This cought my interest, because I know a model n° 5 for sale at the moment. The outside still has 95% of the light brown rough sand finish and the liner is still in place but the front pad was torn and reglued one day. The liner is like the german M17 style and is besides the repair in very good condition. There's no chinstrap present. Imo this is still very good for an experimental helmet... or am I wrong in this case?
Now I have this rather important question of course... How much do you knowledgable gentlemen think that this helmet can be worth? I know nothing about these things because I actually collect pickelhauben and other old german stuff as you know...
Nevertheless I recently started to collect helmets from other counties too... but I'm still learning a lot every day, so please help me out here...

The Model 5 is the more common - there were about 2000 of these made, and only this model was field tested. The prices have been going up on these and holding. Given that the liner is mostly there I would say $1000 to $2500. If the paint is good maybe higher. The lack of chinstrap would bring the price down a little big however.

Back