Artillerie-Seitengewehr 71/98

Adler

This AS71/98 is a hard to find bayonet... Anyway, it took me more than 15 years to find one with matching numbers...
The AS71/98 is a transformed AS71, actually they used only the blade of a AS71 and replaced the handle à la S98 to fit the Gew. 98... The original scabbard of the AS71 was used unaltered... This happened between 1910 and 1914...
The AS71/98 wzs mostly used by Artillerie and Landwehr...

Adler

Wonderful bayonet....one comment though, wouldn't the 62 issue date on the blade indicate this was an earlier model bayonet than the 1871 designation? The scabbard and blade shape are quite similar to the M1860 (64 year date) Fusilier bayonet I have. Although I have seen references to an artillery model with a similar shaped blade. Just a question, great looking seitengewehr. =D>

Larry

Thank you for your replies gentlemen!

Larry, for this rare bayonet they used the blade of the old AS71. A lot of AS71 had actually recovered blades of the FS60 (Füselier Seitengewehr 1860), but there was also a new production of AS71. So the one that is shown here is one with a blade that was reused twice (therefore it's dated 1862) ...

Adler

Excellent Adler, I really enjoy these examples of Imperial thriftyness, here's another example on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180434734250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT wow, what a price! It appears to be a French style blade mounted to an 1871 pattern hilt. That must have been quite a slab of steel mounted to the end of your rifle. Larmo

That's another one I'd like to have, but indeed the price is holding me back for this one...

Adler

Back