Asbestos

edwin

Recently, I understood that the liner of Brodie helmets often contains a piece of asbestos and upon closer inspection I believe this is also the case for my doughboy helmet. Does this asbestos pose a serious risk as long as I leave the liner alone?

Regards,

Edwin

It is the asbestos fibers in the lungs that are the issue. Unless you plan to cut, shape, saw, hammer, pulverize or otherwise manhandle the asbestos it is perfectly benign.

I would agree that as long as your not breathing in the helmet you should be fine. Keep in mind millions of British soldiers wore these helmets without a problem.

BTW... the paint on the helmets likely contains lead too! This is why I wash my hands after handling any of my militaria items. There is lead paint, could be other toxic residues on the steel, etc.

Actually I was a show today and Bill Combs was telling me that it is a myth that there is asbestos in the helmets at all! This is not true and he's had helmets tested.

As far as the lead paint goes, this is toxic if you can get it into your body and you are quite young. Given the average age on this forum (ahem) even if you were to eat the paint off your helmets the effect would be miniscule.

Back