Asians in German Uniform? Help Needed!

chrispaulodale

Hello folks,

I recently recieved an email asking for help identifying some photographs. These ones have got me stumped! They look like Asians in German uniform with German troops. A training exchange possibly?

image1forum.jpg

image3forum.jpg

image3aforum.jpg

Any help from readers would be appreciated...

Cheers
Chris

Interesting pictures Chris. They are not the first asian or asian looking guys ive seen, but the one picture where one is wearing a very un german looking cap does suggest some exchange indeed. In my picture however, theyre probably just eurasians enrolled in the german army. Ill upload it asap, damn these ipads

Here goes

7791321146_522d7151c2_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paranoid_womb/7791321146/in/photolist-cSuykd/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris,

I agree with the exchange concept. There are a lot of those in Asia were delegations were sent to Germany – including from the Imperial Chinese. The Emperor of form I guess the King of Thailand was a big supporter and I believe he had a son that graduated from the Prussian cadet school.

ps1448 by joerookery, on Flickr

In 1889-1890, five Chinese students of Qing dynasty studied military and artillery in Berlin and Krupp Arsenal,Germany. They were instructed by Krupp himself and one of these five became the premier of China (Duan qirui) and was instrumental in China declaring war against Germany in 1917. He sent 10 thousand Chinese without weapons but working tools to Europe to jion the War I. The Chinese labors dug trenches and transported shells. Most of them never came back China. Not sure yet about this guy.
I found some information and got to know this man was likely to be 洪振坤,his family name is Hong or Hung in Chinese PIN YIn 拼音, here Ho, and his last name is Zhen kun, yours is"Chein-Kim" . 洪振坤 went to Krupp to study the techniques of making ​​Cannon in 1890 with 毛殿英(Mao Dian-ying)and 吴陆(Wu Lu). My great grandfather went Krupp in 1889-1890 with four classmates 商德全(Shang dequan)、吴鼎元(Wu ding-yuan)、孔庆塘(Kong qing-tang)、腾毓藻(Teng Yu-zao)

ps3252 by joerookery, on Flickr

Thanks very much guys! The idea of training foreign officers does seem most likely doesn't it?

Here's a couple more thoughts I had which may or may not be correct...

The two cockades on the caps would seem to date the photo post 1897 though which would rule out the Chinese visitors of 1889-90 unfortunately. Interestingly the upper cockade on their caps does not look to me like it's got a black outer ring. Could they have had their own national cockade worn on German uniforms?

Also looking at the collar colours on the double breasted tunics... they seem to be different colours so the officers are not all attached to the artillery but different branches of service.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Chris

Is it my eyes or is the soldier on the right, in this group of sweet looking Uhlans, actually of Asian type?..

Back