Askari Postcard

SCHUPO

Gentlemen,

I have some German Colonial stuff that I have collected so I thought I would show a Colonial Veteran Group post card featuring an Askari. There were Schutztruppen and Polizeitruppen in the German Colonies so the Polizei-Soldaten are of interest to me. There was a set of cards showing uniform plates of various Schutztruppen u. Polizeitruppen as well as a Waldorf Astoria album showing various uniforms worn by Colonial Troops that may be of interest.

Attachments

• Askari.JPG
    Askari.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Askari PC.JPG
    Askari PC.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Pol Trupp books.JPG
    Pol Trupp books.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 19
The history of the fighting in German East Africa during WW1 makes for a very interesting read. The German forces were composed almost 100% of Askaris.

Yes, and the Colonial headgear was quite diverse and interesting such as that worn by the Askari on the above postcard. I have also shown the period Waldorf Astoria uniform book as well as a nicely done recent book on German Colonial forces utilizing quite a few period colored uniform plates. I recommend both books for info on the subject. Notice the small Colonial eagle device beneath the books. This brass plate was worn on pith helmets and peaked caps for specific troops.

Many thanks Schupo for sharing. These items are really a mine of informations.
Can we remove this thread and put it in the Imperial german colonial ?

Back