Austrian Western Front - Double Camo M17 Stahlhelm

Mike9999

Hello Folks -

Picked this up as an 'out of the clost' find about a ayear ago at a small local shop (not ebay!).

It was not labeled correctly, but only as a German Helmet. I was a bit puzzled at first, but after close inspection it is a traditional Austrian M17, in quite nice shape but missing the leather on the liner and the chinstrap. However, very little rust anywhere.

Careful inspection shows the original 'brown' was overpainted with the German style splintered camo pattern, with black line dividers. The splinter pattern looks to be almost completely intact.

Then, this was overpainted with a light green (Springtime?) wash. It still retains hardened clay on several parts, which leads me to believe it was a battlefield pickup. Appears to be totally untouched except for removal of the leather. AW 64 maker marked. I've also wondered about Finn use, but don't know how it would have found its way back in this condition.

Though it might be of interest, as it is the first such 'camoed' Austrian I have ever run across. The splinter pattern makes me think Western Front, but I'm glad to hear other opinions!

Thanks for looking!

- Mike

AustrianM16a1.jpg

AustrianM16b1.jpg

AustrianM16c1.jpg

AustrianM16d1.jpg
[/img]

Hi Mike,
I am not so familiar with the Austrian helmet history, but they did repaint helmets green-grey after the war to be reused in the new home defence. Repainted Berndorfer helmets emerge as well. If I remember correctly, the repainting was done only on the top side (as on yours), or at maximum including the underside of the brim but not inside the liner. Other forum members may be more knowledgable. But all offficially repainted helmets I saw so far were clean and a straight gray color, no mix.

Mike;
I think your assessment is correct. I think this helmet is a WW1 bring back and nothing less. Leave it as is as it is a piece of history mud and all.
:D :D
Jerry R.

Thanks Guys!

Jerry - Will do. That is some pretty hefty clay stuck on it. Would be interesting to know what kind. It is a 'chalky' white.

- Best regards! Mike

Back