Austrian WWI uniform

Gustaf

Staff member
In 1972, I was visiting a girl in Upper Austria who was an exchange student in a nearby town. Her father was cleaning the attic, he asked if I would help. Most of the afternoon was spent putting things in the good, trash and wood piles when he handed me a WWI tunic with the instruction "Müll" for the trash pile. I challenged him and he assured me that he wanted it in the garbage, I asked if I could have it and he said "Nein" and explained that it was dirty, had moth holes and water damage. I pressed him, and he relented. I opened the tunic and found the field cap in the breast pocket. He saw how excited I was and started looking for anything to go with it. He found a waterbottle with leather harness, two single pocket ammo pouches and a pile of letters and cards. I was able to find a pair of trousers with the correct piping from a costume house to complete the uniform and it is one of the most prized in my collection.

Very cool story, makes you think how many hundreds of thousands of pieces of militaria have ended up in the trash.

Back