Baden Filzhelm

WEIMAR

Hi All

This is not really a latest find as I have owned it for about 50 years.

It is a Baden Filzhelm without front peak trim or rear spine. The front plate is steel ( it attracts a magnet ) and in the photos it appears to be a grey colour. In fact, it is a dark green but I cannot tell if it is painted or some sort of chemical finish.

The chinstrap has always been weak with red rot and I try not to touch it as you will see from the verdigris round the fittings. The aluminium support ring was fitted when I got the helmet and has done a good job of keeping the whole thing in shape.

Hope you like it
WEIMAR

Congratulations on owning this beautiful helmet :bravo:

I have seen several mixed metal Ersatz helmets, but never one from Baden.

Excellent.

John :)

Seems to be a nice one without the sides ripped ,on these filzhelmets it is very common that the sides at the visors are ripped
I like the concept of the aluminum band to , to keep it in its original shape as these often are found in not so good conditions

Love those filz helmets

Jonas

Very nice helmet .
If you have owned it for 50 years ,
how old were you when you started to collect ?

I have been at it for 47 years .

Steve

Thanks everyone for your comments and to Tony for correcting the typo.

Steve, I am 71 and got my first pickelhaube from a local junk shop when I was about 14. A Prussian M95 which I still have. I do not have a large collection but every now and again the bug comes back to bite and I start looking again - only to find that prices have increased from the 15 bob (75 pence)
I paid for the first one.

Regards

Peter (WEIMAR)

Peter ;
Thanks
The good old days
I remember that I paid $50.00
for my first Prussian officers helmet
Enlisted G d C helmets with eagle top was $125.00

Steve

WEIMAR, one of the first helmets I acquired was also a Badisches Filzhelm. Mine has brass visor trim, but, as Jonas pointed out, the Schirm is torn at both sides. The Wappen on this helmet is attached by heavy prongs that are folded back. One of the brads attaching the spike base to the backing disc is nothing more than a small brass button held in place with a cotter pin. Warts and all, it's a sentimental favorite.

Chas

i-Jhr9zqR-X2.jpg

i-DDtBSpg-XL.jpg

i-z5bW5hX-L.jpg

i-Z4zvN6k-L.jpg

Its a pitty that these are so fragile but yours is very nice marked, was not often done in filz so i would not bother on the little damage it has. the dome is still in great shape so thats the most important
Great helmet :thumb up:

Jonas

Chas

You have a super helmet there. The colour of the felt looks to be identical to mine. My wappen is retained with the usual leather wedges.

Those Baden wappen always look so impressive, I think.

Regards

Peter

Back