Baden Silver Wappen

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
Another wappen for your examination. This one is a Baden OR wappen in white metal. There are 4 possibilities regarding units that wore this wappen Dragoner Regts 2o,21, 22 and pioneer Regt 14. The problem is, that none of these wore shako plates which this appears to be. You will notice how vertical the wappen is. It lacks the usual rounded swept back profile that one finds on wappen intended to curve around the helmet shell. It is swept back but the impression is that it would fit a shako. According to Lacarde the Baden units wore a shako model 1834 until 1849 when they were issued a hlemet similar to but not the same as the Prussian pickelhaube. However, I do not believe that the design of this is that of the M34 shako wappen. Perhaps this comes from an older helmet with a higher profile? Any suggestions???
The metal of this wappen tarnishes quickly and you will notice that one side looks cleaner than the other. I cleaned one side of the wappen (left) before taking the picture so that you could see the difference. Brian
Collectionroompics044.jpg

I love it. Beautiful Wappen. Baden Wappen are smaller than any other states. The line Infantry Wappen is only 92mm from the bottom of the scroll to the top of the crown, this is deceptive as the scroll curves up on Baden Wappen. Only Baden Train wore the micro-Baden Wappen in gilt, which I have seen, but sadly cannot find. It was about 3/4 the size of the 92mm Wappen.

It is not much earlier, as the Baden Griffen was much cruder prior to 1842.

Back