Baron Von Richthofen

pickelhauben

Hey Guys,

I tried a quick google and was unable to find the info I wanted.

Does anybody know what Regt. the Baron was in ?

And would anybody have a picture of his Uhlan helmet or the type he would have worn ?

Thanks.

Manfred von Richthofen was in the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches) Nr. 1 ("1st Emperor Alexander III of Russia Uhlan Regiment (1st West Prussian)") and was assigned to the regiment's 3. Eskadron ("No. 3 Squadron"). (Preussen 1914, p.400).

John :)

SkipperJohn said:
Manfred von Richtoffen was in the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches) Nr. 1 ("1st Emperor Alexander III of Russia Uhlan Regiment (1st West Prussian)") and was assigned to the regiment's 3. Eskadron ("No. 3 Squadron"). (Preussen 1914, p.400).

Thanks for the info.

So his Uhlan helmet would have had a standard guilt line eagle ( smaller uhlan eagle wappen ) ?

pickelhauben said:
SkipperJohn said:
Manfred von Richtoffen was in the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches) Nr. 1 ("1st Emperor Alexander III of Russia Uhlan Regiment (1st West Prussian)") and was assigned to the regiment's 3. Eskadron ("No. 3 Squadron"). (Preussen 1914, p.400).

Thanks for the info.

So his Uhlan helmet would have had a standard guilt line eagle ( smaller uhlan eagle wappen ) ?

I believe that he would have worn a Tschapka with a gilt first pattern grenadier eagle.
Tony has one here: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/dunkelblau/helmets/dbh53.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In my humble opinion, you should spell the Guy's name in the correct way...

Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen

Adler

All that I can add, is that his tschapka was placed on the coffin in the film sequence where he was returned to the soil of the "Fatherland".

Hi friends,

Here is his Tschapka on the coffin :
http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205213463" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here :
61afcd6d56d9cf00407e130e143ec32a.jpg

And the Red Baron's Tschapka was something like that : mod 1889/94 for officier with the "Alte Regimenter" wappen.

Coll 407 by Max Pickelmax, sur Flickr

SkipperJohn said:
Manfred von Richthofen was in the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander der III. von Russland (1. Westpreußisches) Nr. 1 ("1st Emperor Alexander III of Russia Uhlan Regiment (1st West Prussian)") and was assigned to the regiment's 3. Eskadron ("No. 3 Squadron"). (Preussen 1914, p.400).

I've heard that he painted his plane red because that was the facing color of the 1st UR.

Back