Battalion Commander And Staff (I think)

Nickc

Keep5.jpg

Keep5a.jpg

Could I ask for a bit of help with this please.

I believer this to be a battalion commander and his staff, as I have read in many soldiers accounts of batallions being commanded by majors and captains.

I can read printed German, even the Gothic fonts but I am still struggling with the hand written items as I need more familiarity with German.

The first line is a mystery to me except it is something to do with 1918

From the shoulder tabs I can see and the writing on the back the guy in the middle is a captain, all the other others are lieutenants.

Any help would be appreciated, the response to the picture with all the names on his really fired my interest, I am starting a new album in an nearly mint German patriotic album from 1917 with photographs like this and their history.

Meanwhile I am still looking for a Saxon Atrillery Officers pickelhaube :)

Nice photo. Looks like it says November 1918 on the first line which would make right at the end of the war.

To my eyes, we have the location of the photo followed by November 1918. Then below we have the rank and last names of those posing. Ltu . Is short form of lieutenant. I believe Hptm. is Hauptmann and his name is Becker. Unfortunately, I can not decipher the other names. My interpretation only.

I‘m not 100% sure with all, but I read following (without the 1st word, I have no clue what it means):
xxxx, Ende November 1918
Stab II / L.16
Ltn. (Leutnant) „Dietrich“ or „Dietrech“, Ltn. Kauffmann, O. S.
tallm. (Ober-Stallmeister) Krüger, Ltn.Lamersdorff, Hptm. (Hauptmann) Becker
Ltn Oberbeckmann

Whenever I start deciphering something, I have to think about it again and again. It's a curse and a blessing at the same time :ninja:🙃

This is great it has given me an idea, start another album of soldiers who survived the war.

I have all these good condition albums from the war, I have one for my own collection already; already started one for the guys that @Glennj identified as part of a new album with histories.

Now to start one for suvivors of the war celebrating their survival, I have one already of the guy who survived with his drink I posted here a while back now, now this group. It would be an interesting take on the usual books to have one celebrating their survival when the war ended, as well as a, useful historical record.

Back