Battle Damaged 10th Company Garde-Division Helmet F.B. 62

Greeting - I'm new to this site, so please me gentle.
I have a Guard's M'17 helmet with a marking on the rear that I'm not sure about. I know the history of this helmet since 1918 so I do not believe it has been played with. In fact the first time I saw this helmet was in 1955.

Besides the original helmet color the only other color on this helmet is white. There is no signs of any red nor black paint ever being on this helmet. The side shield is white and the original helmet color. But my question is about the marking on the rear. I have always believe that the rear markings were of the company's number. This helmet has what appears to be the letter "C" in white. I said appears to be, as the area next to the letter has had the paint scratched off (down to the metal), so it may have been a "0". Since neither of these are company identifiers anyone know what the marking may mean?

Helmet is marked BF64 (Bellinger size 64), white leather liner, original chin strap with brass hardware.

Sorry for the quality of the photos.
GuardHelmet2_zps35dd8454.jpg

GuardHelmet1_zps3b14f802.jpg

GuardHelmet3_zps474115b2.jpg

GuardHelmet4_zps9a88e1d6.jpg

I've posted this here as another example of a white marked non-camo helmet. If that may be of interest or help.

Went and tried to take some better photos, they came out even poorer. However, I was able to answer my own question. I believe that the marking on the rear was a "9". Not the same style that appears on the other white number 9 helmet.
Here are some photos (poor as they maybe) that do show the scratched off area, as well as, three little white spots still remaining.
GuardHelmetreardetail_zpsa92ee542.jpg

GuardHelmetrearwhitespt_zps35af73d7.gif

Thanks all.

Looks like the remnants of a #9 (9th Comany). I think this helmet holds promise, but I can't say much more based on the pictures.

This subject of helmet markings is becoming more interesting. It appears the more we come up with on it, the more questions there are. Comparing the two 9th company helmets, it would appear one was originally marked with a two then 'adjusted' to a nine, while the other had two / thirds of the nine removed. Why? This, also, would point to not only the 9th company using white numbers, but second company as well.
Does anyone out there have two helmets marked for the same company in different color paint?

Back