Battlefield 1918 Computer Game

Peter_Suciu

Sorry, if I got anyone too excited... there is no official WWI game (yet), but it does look like the game Battlefield 2 will be getting a "mod" (user created make over basically) called Battlefield 1918.

http://www.bf1918.com/

As a note, I'm a journalist and part of my "beat" is video games. As I'm a history buff I'm always on the look out for the best military simulations. There are some fantastic WWII games but sadly few WWI games. However, this downloadable add-on for Battlefield 2 is coming along.

Games like Battlefield 2 come with code that allows fans to modify the game (hence mods). The BF1918 looks pretty good, and includes German, British, French, America and Turkish forces so far!

Hi Pete

I agree.. I have been an avid wargamer for 30 plus years, both boardgames & videogames. Can't wait to have a good 1914-18 game. The subject has been alomost totally overlooked by the gaming community

Pete

There was a decent real-time strategy game called The Great War: 1914-1918. But it took too long to play and it was far too challenging.

You could build infantry cheaply, but tanks were expensive and my battleship cost a fortune. Basically I built up an army, attacked the enemy and my forces were destroyed. Then I'd build up and again and face an attack. This continued for a long time. Finally I gave up. Felt far too much like the war!

And the same company did a game about the Napoleonic Wars called Cossacks II. A lot of game reviews gave it negative reviews for being confusing. The developers actually tried to get the uniforms close, so the British had infantry in red uniforms, riflemen in black, some cavalry in blue. Looked beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, but trying to find your men on the map was a nightmare!

Have never been a big fan of real time (RTS) games.. much prefer turn based. Hopefully, there should be something good out soon.

The best PC sim I have seen to date has been the Combat Mission series. They are just finishing up work on the new game engine (CMX2). I highly suspect that they will do a WW1 release, not right away.. but in one of the future releases. The first one they are doing is modern combat set in Syria.. some 10 years down the road (hypothetical US- Syrian conflict.. I suspect they are digging for Pentagon contracts for training sims), then probably a couple of more WW2 (the most popular by far with gamers). Then, if we are lucky.. we might see some trench warefare.

Pete

Red Baron was a great game in it's time. Since I am a military pilot, I was drawn to this game. I don't think anyone has made a new sim on WWI since Dawn Patrol.

I would love to see a new WWI game and especially a new Flight Sim.

Paul

The total war series would be a good platform for WW1 gaming.
Mark G.

Total War would be good. The combintation of strategic turn-based elements with real-time battles was great.

I can recommend Imperial Glory. About 100 years earlier but similar concept.

I have gamed in 15 mm Napoleonics for almost 10 years ,I just started Micro Armour 6mm .I have played 6mm Napoleonics before and think it would be a great scale for gaming WW1 in Dibisional size games . They have 25 mm WW series of rules and figures are available for it .I have not tried this system ,as I think the amount of troups on the board woulr be limited to section-Company at best and would not have proper estetic representaion of that period.
Imperial Glory would be a good base for a WW1 system ,as well
Mark Giroux

I don't know how you don't go blind painting the figures! I have a few friends that are into miniatures. I've tried painting a bit and my eyes hurt from it!

I use a really big magnifier .I had to get off work when I got sick from Kidney failure .I picked up painting and gaming Bapoleonic Figure's to help keep my mind busy . I did not have a computer then ,I have around 800 Napolronics painted and another 700 to go . Then it's onto WW2 .I am now older time for the bigger magnifier.
Mark

Hey Mark, I am so old and my eye sight is so crappy, I have to go with the 1 to 1 scale figures.
Gus

peter_suciu said:
Gustaf said:
Hey Mark, I am so old and my eye sight is so crappy, I have to go with the 1 to 1 scale figures.
Gus

1 to 1 scale? Even that I'd probably mess up. I'd need bigger!
Even at that scale, I cheat, Maggie paints the figures and I use real uniforms to dress them.
Gus

Back