Bavarian Contract Steyr M1912 pistols

Gustaf

Staff member
This post is for Brett,
While doing a survey to confirm that the Bavarian contract Steyr pistols were chambered for the 9mm Steyr cartridge, rather than the 9mm parabellum, I managed to acquire a few examples, while considered rare in the rest of the world, it seems they are a dime a dozen in the US. Shown are two 1916 examples (top two) and a 1918 example.
Fathers053.jpg

Shown in this photo, is the original (numbered to the pistol) barrel with a 9x23 cartridge chambered (the 9x19 will not chamber as it is a tapered case, and the 9x23 is straight, making the base of the 9x19 larger than the chamber)
Fathers056.jpg

Sadly, the seller of this example chose to sell the original holster seperate from the pistol, and I was out bid by some one who was more insane than I was, so now I am seeking a Bavarian contract holster.
Best
Gus

If I had been thinking, I would have included my Austrian Steyr to show the difference. My Austrian is also dated 1916, so it could have been a Bavarian, but the only difference is that the Bavarians did not have an alpha suffix, and the Austrains did.

Very nice! I like ANY automatic that doesn't have those frappin' fat grips they put on some these days.

:D Ron

Gus; Any Steyr Hahns with adjustable rear sights?? Any more Steyrs or just those Bavarian contracts?? Talk about insane I've got 20 of them!

Hey Dick, I am glad I am not the craziest one here:) I only have one other, an Austrian one made in 1916. so I do not have any with adjustable rear sights, and noen with non-adjustable front sights either, You would not happen to have a spare Bavarian holster by chance?
Best
Gus

Sorry Gus I only have one Bavarian contract holster! Can't seem to find many Bavarian or for that matter any Steyr Hahn holsters. I do see the big and clunky Roth Steyr holsters that were used for the Steyr Hahn occasionally, but the price is TOO high. Dick

Hey Dick,
Have you seen this style of holster before, shown here with my Austrian M12,
actionfigure019-1.jpg

I picked it up several years ago, thinking it was a Rast & Gasser holster, but it is not. It may have been at one time, but was altered, I thought it might be for a P'08, but the M12 fits in it too, although a bit tight. It is marked L.W.M.D.1915 for the Landwehr.
I used to display it with a Roth holster that I bought in Austria in 1972. I paid the equivalent of $40 for it then, which was $5 more than I paid for my Steyr. The holsters are still worth more than the pistols.
On may way home through England, I was stopped by a customs official (I had the holster strapped to the back of my back pack) and he asked me if I had the Pistol for the holster. I told him that I did, but it was at home (I thought he was interested in the historic value of the pistol, hey, I was just a farm kid) He challenged me, and I reiterated that I did have the pistol, but it was at home. and as I was telling the truth (customs officials are taught to know when they are being lied to) he let me pass. It was many years later that I remembered that I had a revolver in the holster at the time.
Best
Gus

Just for fun, here is my Roth Steyr with the afore mentioned holster.
actionfigure018-1.jpg

Best
Gus

Great photos Gus! I have 2 or 3 of the black Steyr Hahn type holsters but only 2 of the Roth Steyr/Steyr Hahn type. I used to see them for sale all the time but not so recently. I did sell 2 Steyr Hahns at the last SOS show, both with matching serial #'s throughout. I tend to want to keep my Bavarian,Chilian, Romanian and Czech marked pistols.

I managed to find a resonable Bavarian holster for my Steyr.
Johan002.jpg
Johan003.jpg

It is not mint, but it has been there, and still displays well.
Best
gsu

It looks great Gus, much better--more character (or been there like you say)--that a mint one IMO...

Great looking holster Gus! Any maker markings on it?? Has someone cut away some of the holster around the trigger?? maybe for easy removal or fast draw?? Still a fine looking holster. Dick

Hey Dick.
I can not see any markings, most I have seen have very faint markings. Yes I believe that the holster has been cut down to make it easier to draw the pistol, it devalues the holster some, but it still displays well with the flap closed, and was a fourth the cost of the last one I tried to buy.
Best
Gus

Excellent pieces there Gusmeister.....but again sadly, more reasons why you have been clasified as "a person of interest" by the authorities up here in the Great White North.

I do not know why I would be a person of interest, All my weapons are deactivated acording to Idaho rules of deactivation (that means that they are not loaded) Well except for the revolver under my pillow.
Best
Gus

Back