Bavarian EM felt ersatz

USMC-EOD

I picked this Bavarian EM's felt ersatz recently, and figured I would post it.

Overall, the helmet seems to be in very good condition. I have noticed over the years that the color of the felt on the Bavarian felt ersatz helmets usually seems to have more of a brownish shade, whereas the Prussian felt helmets seem to tend to be more of a greenish feldgrau shade.

Has anyone else noticed that?

The chinstrap looks right, but the buckles appear a little thicker than what I am used to seeing on these. The buckles have a lot of verdigris on them as can be seen in the photos.

Any opinions on the chinstrap?

There is a tiny little red circular sticker up under the inside of the crown, under the liner showing that it is a size 55. No other markings are present on it.

The cockades are nice originals. I was really happy to see that, especially with the Bavarian cockade as they are hard to find on the loose around here.

I have handled a few repro Bavarian cockades over the years, and it is obvious when you have an original in hand. I hope the repro companies never figure out how to make perfect copies; then I think we might all be hosed!

Thanks for looking.

Bryan.

Attachments

• 20221025_181305.jpg
    20221025_181305.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20221025_181320.jpg
    20221025_181320.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20221025_181331.jpg
    20221025_181331.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20221025_181349.jpg
    20221025_181349.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Thanks guys.

I was thinking the chinstrap might be a repro as well, but the guy who owned this helmet before passed away in the mid 1980s.

I recall looking at this helmet as a kid in the mid 1970s at his house and noticing the thick verdigris back then, so it must be a fairly old repro from the 1960s or earlier.

I will be likely leave it on. The helmet belonged to a very old family friend, and it is nice remembering when I look at it.

Bryan.

I agree with Lars13, if you saw it as a kid in the mid '70,s, it might be original. I'd leave that strap on if I were you.
I like it very much! A nice Bavarian felt!

Bryan- great looking helmet, you know I love the Bavarians! I also would give the chinstrap a chance, looks good on helmet.

James

Thank you, guys.

I really do appreciate your input!

You know, collecting pickelhauben can be fun and very interesting. But these days, for me, it also kind of seems to be a fairly singular, and somewhat "distant from the pack" part of militaria collecting. Kind of like being the "Maytag Repair Man" of militaria collecting...

The few pickelhauben collectors that I really see left out at the various militaria or gun shows have really dried up over the last few years. I think many have passed on, and there is less and less stuff out there to find "on the loose". A single wappen or cockade can can cost two or three times what I think I used to pay for an entire M1915 way back in the day.

I think a lot of younger collectors are discouraged before they leave the gate, and that creates a dearth of interest...

Without waxing nostalgic too much, I guess what I am trying to say is that it means a lot to have a great site like this with fellow enthusiasts to discuss this stuff. It means a lot to have this resource, and I truly do appreciate the thoughtful input from each of you.

For me, except for a couple of guys i know on the west coast, this site pretty much remains the only place where I can discuss this stuff.

I am truly grateful.

S/F

Bryan.

Semper Fi Bryan!

I am also ex military, I used to be a sergeant in the Dutch military. But you know, I also know lots of collectors do not want to participate in sites like this. They like to keep a low profile. Mostly because they have collections which are worth a lot of money. I tried getting some Dutch collectors here, but they will not do that. There are more collectors out there, than our group here.

But I also know, that a lot of them are reading our collective posts here, and like it too.
Me personally, am more of a forum guy too, just like you. I Like sharing my latest additions, no matter how lowly an M15, or a usual M95 might be.
Because I like discussing things to, also, I am also here to learn.

I may be a member here for a long time, but I still learn everyday here. The more you look, the more you find out you still are a rookie.
Not meant to you, only to myself. I think most guy's here can agree. Nobody has all the answers, but together we are strong.

But, I do know this particular field of collecting is larger than we think.
Looking at the rising prices of the helmets, and medals we all cherish, proves that.

Have a nice weekend, and, when on a mission, stay safe!

My best regards, Coert.

Thanks Coert,

What a nice thing to say! I appreciate your sentiments.

I have read your posts for years, but I do not think I have ever posted anything in reply. I kind of stayed away from posting on a lot of forums when I was still on active duty...

You have always posted a lot of fun and interesting things. I have enjoyed reading your stuff over the years.

And as "missions" go, I am retired! The only mission in life that I have at this point is taking care of my little mini dachshund, Jaeger. Picture below... he likes to rack-out in his little bed next to me on the couch this time of night.

No missions...

No more early mornings, deployments, unexploded bombs, memorial services or Staff meetings for me! Just cruising between Florida and California at our homes there, and poking my son with a sharp stick to get him busy with his new bride to make my wife and I some grand kids.

Yes Coert. Life is pretty good. And lots of time now to mess around with forums...

Bryan

Attachments

• 20221104_231248.jpg
    20221104_231248.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Thanks Coert,

I have read your posts for years, but I do not think I have ever posted anything in reply. I kind of stayed away from posting on a lot of forums when I was still on active duty...

You have always posted a lot of fun and interesting things. I have enjoyed reading your stuff over the years.

And as "missions" go, I am retired! The only mission in life that I have at this point is taking care of my little mini dachshund, Jaeger. Picture below... he likes to rack-out in his little bed next to me on the couch this time of night.

No missions...

No more early mornings, deployments, unexploded bombs, memorial services or Staff meetings for me! Just cruising between Florida and California at our homes there, and poking my son with a sharp stick to get him busy with his new bride to make my wife and I some grand kids.

Yes Coert. Life is pretty good. And lots of time now to mess around with forums...

Bryan
Nothing better than a warm puppy
Steve

Yes.

He decided to jump up a few moments ago and snatch my wife's slipper to chew on. He is a good boy, but he has his moments.

Hey Bryan, I recently received a nice Bavarian felt from a very good friend, it lacks the liner, but I still think it is nicer than yours.

Well hey, Gus!

I bet whomever sent that helmet to you would probably love to see how it displays in your museum. And nicer than mine, eh? You must like that salty look that so many Marines attempt to achieve with their uniforms. I bet that guy who sent you that is a good dude.

Hey chinstrap. Setters are tough to handle! My hat is off to you. You must have the patience of Job...

My last dachshund was cost free, an Alpha male, and a real handful. The levels of Llama-Drama were off the charts weekly at the house until the day my little pal passed on. I figured out fairly quickly why we got him for free...

It was so bad that my wife began to really start disliking owning a dog. She insisted that we obtain a Beta male as a condition of getting a new dachshund in my retirement.

She was right! Not a mean bone in his body. Obedient, super intelligent, and just a pleasure to have as a member of our little family. My wife loves playing "tug the rope" and "fetch" with him. We were lucky to find him!

//The only mission in life that I have at this point is taking care of my little mini dachshund, Jaeger.//
Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your service Marine.

That is a nice Ersatz helmet, and as you observed, often that weird brown colour. I have several helmets that have old replica M91 chin straps and I have a few Kokarden that are suspect, but I really don’t care. They’ve been there forever so they can stay there. If I find a replacement, great. But yours already has that pedigree of having belong to your friend.

That is a nice surprise. Jäger. I’m sure many of us could hijack this thread with canine photos. Like Elle here.

73B43CB9-B3A3-4A3E-9F20-71E6CE8B6872.jpeg

Thanks Coert,

No missions...

Bryan
Bryan,

Thanks for your service and Semper Fi! We met at the Pomona Show, my brother and I had a a table this year, and you were with your son. I wasn’t a lifer, but did serve during Vietnam. Jaeger and I have something in common, I like to rack out also. Hope to see more posts of your collection in the future. Glad to hear life is good.
Cheers,
Dennis

Back