Bavarian Felt Pickelhaube with Brass Trim

ww1czechlegion

Offered is a Bavarian Ersatz enlisted helmet with green felt body and brass fittings.

Being sold as I acquired it with no chinstrap and no kokardes.

Liner is complete and intact. Liner is supple and has no dry rot or red rot.

No rips or tears to the felt body. Felt has some whitish discoloration near the spike base and backspine. I brushed it lightly with a stiff bristle brush and it cleaned up nicer than when I acquired it. It will take a bit more work to remove that white discoloration.

No extra holes behind front plate.

Helmet needs to be put on a hat stretcher form to get it back into shape. It currently sits a bit twisted and will come out fine with a hat stretcher form placed in it for a while to straighten the lower area back to normal shape.

Brass front visor trim is cracked on underside area about half way through as seen in photos. The crack does not come fully around to the front side of the visor. The backspine needs some very light work with straightening as well as it is bowed out in one area as seen in photos, something that is very typical with these brass back spines. Someone with a little patience and attention to detail can make this helmet look quite nice.

I don't see any marking inside the helmet or on the underside of the back visor..

This helmet should look a lot nicer than what it does currently with a little patience and TLC. I'll leave that up to the new owner. Sitting on a hat form for a while will do wonders for this helmet.

Priced at $675.00 or "Best Offer".

Payment via PayPal is o.k. I prefer "friends and family" or please add 4% to cover the fees.

USA postage in continental-48 states: $15.00 via Priority Mail with tracking.

Canada Postage: $30.00 via 1st Class International Mail.

UK, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany postage: $50.00 via 1st Class International Mail.

Singapore postage for Amy: $60.00 via 1st Class International Mail.

Thanks,

Alan

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 1.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 2.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 3.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 4.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 5.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 6.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 7.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 8.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 9.jpg

Bavarian Ersatz Helmet 10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice helmet Alan, which should sell quickly. I don’t think that I have ever seen a felt helme with a natural coloured liner before. They are usually dyed black. 👍

Nice helmet Alan, which should sell quickly. I don’t think that I have ever seen a felt helme with a natural coloured liner before. They are usually dyed black. 👍

Thanks Brian! It should look a lot better with some patience and TLC, neither of which I have at the moment with too many projects to work on that are not getting done with several other helmets that need attention. It just sits in one of my storage boxes and doesn't offer me much enjoyment since I don't have anything on display here at home.

If energy prices didn't skyrocket I would be interested in many helmets. At the moment, however, many have to keep their money together, I'm afraid.
I agree Sandy... Prices are rising so fast, I also am keeping a low profile buying helmets unfortunately.
I think many households here in the Netherlands, maybe in your country too, will get into financial problems soon, if the governements do not take action soon..

Thanks guys for your nice comments.

I do not mean to come across here sounding like I'm "scolding" anyone for not buying the helmet here. That was not and is not my intent. I was just frustrated that Daniel bought it and sold it immediately with no repair or improvement to the helmet, and with no hesitation from the closet collector who purchased it from him. He has an entirely different realm of folks who buy from him, many who are not members here or members of any other collector forum. I buy from him on occasion, as does James and some others here as well. But he has a huge following of customers who also are not members of any of the various collector forums such as this one or others that I know of.

The world is all in one great big "hot mess" with inflation problems for food, gasoline, clothing, and any goods being sold. And also with the energy shortage in Europe and corresponding prices in Europe especially hitting families and households in a very bad way. It is a very bad situation indeed.

Best Wishes,

Alan

Alan my comment was not meant to be reproachful. I just wanted to give a reason for a current reluctance to buy. But I can understand your frustration.

No worry Sandy, I did not think there was anything wrong with what you said.

This inflation really sucks and it is taking a huge bite out of every persons monthly budget. Adding to this is the fuel/heating crisis that is hitting Europe. I understand.

Yes, inflation sucks as does the fuel crisis in Europe courtesy of the mad little dictator Putin. We here in N. America have to support Europe as much as we can during this next winter. All of the free democracies need to hold on in their support of Ukraine during these harsh times. Our ancestors who fought and won in WW2 had no problem making sacrifices and we need to follow their example. The gas crisis will pass in Europe as the West finds new supplies. Once that is done, Putin will have no leverage or control over Europe. Putin and his criminal thugs are pure evil and evil must always be crushed by freedom loving peoples no matter what it takes.

Yes, inflation sucks as does the fuel crisis in Europe courtesy of the mad little dictator Putin. We here in N. America have to support Europe as much as we can during this next winter. All of the free democracies need to hold on in their support of Ukraine during these harsh times. Our ancestors who fought and won in WW2 had no problem making sacrifices and we need to follow their example. The gas crisis will pass in Europe as the West finds new supplies. Once that is done, Putin will have no leverage or control over Europe. Putin and his criminal thugs are pure evil and evil must always be crushed by freedom loving peoples no matter what it takes.
I can remember my mother after she opened a tin can of some sort of food
would then cut out the bottom of the can and stomp it flat .The metal cans were
turned back in during the war
Also we would stop at the local P O and buy a ,25 cent stamp to put into
a little book .When the stamps filled out the book it was turned in to buy a War Bond .
Steve

Back