Bavarian felt pickelhaube

JTD

Hi all, New here, and figured I would try my first post. Showing you a recent gun show find. A Bavarian ersatz that sure looks original to my amature eyes. The crown of the wappen has been removed, I am told, at the end of the war in protest to the Keiser abdicating the throne. Any comments, good or bad, welcome. It has real dry leather, and felt is a bit dark from being in an attic I assume, but still looks good on the shelf. Again, hello, John

Very nice indeed.....totally original. That chin strap has been fried in a hot attic though. Welcome to the forum!

Hi JTD

The helmet is an original ,no doubt ,but I’m not sure about the missing crown story ,I think it would sooner be accidental ,after all ,this crown stands for the Bavarian Kingdom.

but I’m not sure about the missing crown story ,I think it would sooner be accidental ,after all ,this crown stands for the Bavarian Kingdom.

After the war Bavaria became a republic and the king abdicated. As a result many of the police helmets removed the crown. Sort of a fashion at the time.

Welcome to the forum! Yes, it certainly saw some heat, but i wouldn't try to change a thing about it, just handle it carefully and leave it un-messed with.

:D Ron

Back