Bavarian Infantry Rgt. 13 stein with animated figure

This stein belonged to Infantrist Muhling who served in the 5th company of Bavarian Infantry Regiment 13 at Ingolstadt from 1908 through 1910.
One of the more expensive options on steins was a large glass domed crown finial with an animated scene. The scene is typically an officer on horseback riding past a sentry. The horse is mounted on a length of spring steel. When the stein is moved the horse and rider wobble back & forth simulating a galloping horse. This stein also has an inscription above the center scene commemorating participation in the Kaiser maneuver of 1909 at Tauberbischofsheim.
Reservist1

I saw that also Mike. It might be entirely random or it could have something to do with the Soderrechte states. Each of these states allied with Prussia through separate treaties in 1870. Each one maintained certain rights in excess of the other North German Bund states. This was maintained in the constitution of 1871 so -- -- -- maybe it has something to do with that? Fascinating top!

Hello R1:

This is the closest I've come to seeing a representation of the Hohenzollern crown in 360º. The front panel cross flanked by eagles is a fixture of many Imperial badges. It appears the remaining panels are comprised of coats of arms. Would it be possible to see close-up detail of those crests?

Thanks.

Chas.

Hi R1:
Keep these steins coming I have never seen the like and I am learning a great deal. I was wondering if you had any information on the original cost of these steins, flasks, pipes etc. I have a glass tankard with a pewter top and thumb lift (Bavarian helmet) that I will humbly submit one of these days. Brian

Would it be possible to see close-up detail of those crests?

Hi Chas: Here is a composite close-up of the crests on the crown. There are 4 of the large crests with the cross and one each of the smaller crests.

crownspq2.jpg

Reservist1

Thank you R1:

This link provides further information on the State Crown. Given the unification, it makes sense for the heraldry of the various Kingdoms to be represented. The real McCoy must have been something to behold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_State_Crown

Chas.

Chas,

I recall reading somewhere that the imperial crown never existed, it was represented in artwork only. There was a Prussian royal crown, but the actual imperial crown was never made.

reservist1 Hi Chas: Here is a composite close-up of the crests on the crown. There are 4 of the large crests with the cross and one each of the smaller crests. [img said:
http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/2668/crownspq2.jpg[/img]

Reservist1

I find this rather interesting that the four panels only show the arms of the Kingdom of Prussia, the Kingdom of Bavaria, the Grand Duchy of Baden, and the Kingdom of Württemberg. Where's the fourth kingdom, Saxony?

Hi Brian: The best available information indicates that a basic regimental stein without special features originally cost 7 or 8 Marks.

Reservist1

Liongules said:
I find this rather interesting that the four panels only show the arms of the Kingdom of Prussia, the Kingdom of Bavaria, the Grand Duchy of Baden, and the Kingdom of Württemberg. Where's the fourth kingdom, Saxony?
Hi Mike:

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but I was unable to post. The crown on R1's Stein appears to be purely symbolic. The State Crown, as it appears on dagger finials, etc., has alternating panels of crosses and eagles only (four of each).

Chas.

Lost Skeleton said:
Hi Mike:

I wanted to respond to this earlier, but I was unable to post. The crown on R1's Stein appears to be purely symbolic. The State Crown, as it appears on dagger finials, etc., has alternating panels of crosses and eagles only (four of each).

Chas.
Thanks Chas! I just found it very odd that one of the four kingdoms making up the empire would be omitted!

Back