Bavarian Military Merit Order

Chip Minx

This showed up at our yearly local military show. It was dirt cheap. The guy thought the bronze version of the award was the higher class because it had a crown on it! It has a few dings, but not all the way through, so it's not that noticeable. It's a beauty and the highest grade of an order that I have ever owned.

Chip

Absolutely beautiful, Chip! Just about my most favorite order, unfortunately I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford one. I do have that "higher grade" copper/bronze one with the crown on it though!!! :D

Thanks Liongules,

The dealer kept telling me after I bought it that he had one even better....a crown order! With what I paid for this one, I was salivating over a crown order. When I came back to his table later he had found it. Boy, was I disappointed when he pulled out the bronze Bavarian merit cross with crown and swords.

At the same show I found this...a Prussian lifesaving medal.

Chip

Hi Chip, The Bavarian MVO is amongst the nicest of the Imperial awards. Your one looks like a Jacob Lesser made piece and again one of the best on the scene.

Once caught by the "Bavarian Blue" bug it's hard to stop ...... Here's it's bigger brother the BMVO 3 class in gold and in it's case.

Chip: Very nice MVO4. Like Mike said the Bavarian MVK & MVO can be addictve. You can't have just one. This is what happened to me.

Reservist1

Mike,

Yes, it is a J.L. and is so marked on the reverse of the medal and the swords. I can see where one could get easily addicted to these. They are really beautiful. Yours and reservist1's put my new piece to shame. If you can only afford one though, this is the one to have. This one made it easy to get started, price-wise. I don't think I could afford to pay the "real" prices for these!

Chip

Chip: Don't knock your MVO4, it is a nice piece. If you are interested in the MVO most classes of the MVK can still be had for fairly reasonable prices. A word of caution about the late war zinc pieces. The non-combatant versions are quite scarce and most that you see for sale are combatant awards with the swords removed by some helpful dealer. Be careful.

Reservist 1

reservist1,

I have no idea of what the prices are these days for imperial medals. The only reference I have is a 1977-78 Nimmergut pocket price list and it's in Deutsch Marks!

I can't imaging that these lovely enameled pieces are reasonably priced. If that's the case, I will definitely be getting more! :D

Chip

Back