Bavarian NCOs cockade

Hi David,
Bavarian NCO cockade and other non-Prussian Imperial German States did not have the rings seen Prussian State NCO (mit Portpee)cockades. Kaisers Bunker Link has the best explanation.

I trust this answers your question.
Best regards,
John

P.S. More knowledgeable forum members will correct my statement if I am OTF

Hi David,
Bavarian NCO cockade and other non-Prussian Imperial German States did not have the rings seen Prussian State NCO (mit Portpee)cockades. Kaisers Bunker Link has the best explanation.

I trust this answers your question.
Best regards,
John

P.S. More knowledgeable forum members will correct my statement if I am OTF
John, I must disagree, with all respect due. I have a fully authentic bavarian NCO cockade that bears the added metal striped ring.

Bruno,
Thank you very much for correcting my misstatement of the information. Could you perhaps post an example of one?
Best regards,
John

Thank you all for your help and education I still have a lot to learn. I have a Bavarian Chevauleger type helmet with a leather chin strap.
If any body has a other ranks cockades please let me know. This is what this site is all about helping educating people fantastic

Thank you all again

David

Ok guy's here are 2 different types of Bavarian NCO kokarden, sorry not for sale.

James

Attachments

• DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    599.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    589.2 KB · Views: 21
Thanks James for the pictures its a shame you don't have one for sale.

Thanks again

David
Dave, do not be surprised. It is difficult to acquire such rare replacement parts from collectors, who will typically keep these to complete a helmet. You may be better off with dealers.
Wishing you the best of luck.

A baden and a bavarian. Sorry not for sale too.

Attachments

• 16464755380759214751128429312504.jpg
    16464755380759214751128429312504.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Yes, if you collect for any length of time you realize that having a few spare kokarden on hand is a necessity. OR’s helmets with the M91 side posts are most likely to be missing chin straps and kokarden. The M91 post was a cool design but did not really secure kokarden and chin scales as did the previous bolt on method. Officer kokarden and scales obviously are also more secure with their pronged rosettes. The weakness of the officer chin scales is that they break at the lower end where they link together. Most times though, the kokarden remain. Now, as the Prussians had the highest number of regiments in the Imperial army, their kokarden are the most common. The Bavarians had the second largest contingent so again it should not be too hard to find a one piece stamped M91 Bavarian kokarde as shown in Amy’s post above. Finding the true NCO 3 piece Bavarian kokarde would be very difficult. The true Baden NCO kokarde also shown above is extremely rare and thus there is no way that Amy is going to sell it. These observations are the result of 40 years of collecting Pickelhauben. We have a kokarden discussion area here on the forum with many photos of rare kokarden. Please take some time to look and learn.

A post script.......I have also encountered 3 examples of Prussian and one Baden officer helmets where the kokarden were M91 style even though they were attached with the typical officer rosettes and chin scales. Due to my restoration projects I am lucky enough to take these helmets apart.

Back