Bavarian pickelhaube ?

Ryanpyc

Good morning everyone
I found this Bavarian helmet here in Italy, it has some deformations but the leather is intact and very thick, but I think these are not the only problems, many things puzzle me, the tip has been fixed with a long screw that starts from inside the helmet, because the part of the stem of the cruciform base onto which the tip is screwed is missing. The cruciform base is blocked by TROUPE BALL TIP NAILS and not by screws with square nuts, the width of the wappen attachments is also strange. "The arduous sentence is yours"
Greetings

Attachments

• picke baviera fronte.jpg
    picke baviera fronte.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 32
  • picke baviera lato.jpg
    picke baviera lato.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 28
  • picke baviera retro.jpg
    picke baviera retro.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 29
  • picke baviera sopra 2.jpg
    picke baviera sopra 2.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 29
  • picke baviera sopra croce.jpg
    picke baviera sopra croce.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
  • picke baviera puntale.jpg
    picke baviera puntale.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 32
  • picke baviera wappen.jpg
    picke baviera wappen.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 37
  • picke baviera int.jpg
    picke baviera int.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 34
Sorry, but this is a reproduction. Nice copy, but the details are not correct. The tip attachment is typical of copies, the tip is a "galvanoplasty". On authentic models, the inside is stamped like the outside, but here we have a blurred, grainy appearance.

I was aware of it, reluctantly, but I bought it paired with a crest from the Papal States that interested me, the cost was appropriate for the piece and consequently I was almost sure of the fact. Luckily the crest is original, thank you

Actually sewing copy is not suitable. A copy of the fireplace can be seen immediately. I'm sorry that you bought a copy. I hit two this year and it was not visible in the photos. The main thing is that I did not lose much.

I'm honest from the outside, for someone who is studying but is still a beginner, it might seem good, in particular the body is really well made, but the photos of the interior made me understand that there was something irregular, plus the price the sales price was very low but in agreement with the seller I had to take it in order to have a very rare piece that he had already promised. The problem for those who are now approaching collecting, in particular of Prussian and German pieces from the 1st and 2nd World War, is the profusion of fake pieces, in addition to the reckless increase in prices.Over the course of 3\4 years, prices have tripled.This makes me happy for the collectors who have been studying, searching for and purchasing pieces of history for years, to the detriment of their wives' complaints, but for the new followers it is a real "war".regards Rino

I'll answer yes, I took up the theme of the 19th/20th century to World War I about 5 years ago. Before that, I was collecting World War II. I took up picklehaube restoration because I could not afford copies in good condition. I had to study the technology of helmet production in those days. Make repairs according to the technology of that period. I spent a lot of time gaining experience and reading. Now repair is no longer a mystery to me, it is just time consuming. I also suggest studying the readings of that period, as available, of course. As usual, such readings can be found in libraries.
I encourage you to take up picklehaube restoration because such professionals are few.
Greetings
Kennyk

Thanks Kenny
I'm quite good at manual work, but I lack the know-how for certain restoration interventions, like you did, to avoid today's exaggerated prices.
I'm not a "boy" I couldn't do it as a job, I had a small house renovation and building work business, the personal satisfaction you get in being the creator of a transformation or construction work is priceless.
I think it's the same emotion you feel when restoring a helmet or a historical relic.
Greetings
Rino

Back