Bayernisch Model 1896

poniatowski

An ebay buy. This seller had no feedback, relisted the helmet and said it was because of non-payment. So, I took a chance and got it for minimum bid (I didn't bid higher and nobody counter-bid), so, got this for a fair price.

000_0055.jpg

No chinstrap or cockades, nice shell, everything is tight.

000_0064.jpg

000_0061.jpg

000_0058.jpg

000_0060.jpg

000_0057.jpg

Do you notice anything about the front plate? I was surprised, but not bothered.

000_0059.jpg

Liner is pretty much complete, but dry; although still pliable. There are no markings of any kind on this helmet. I cleaned some mild mildew out from under the liner with a soft tooth brush and dusted the liner off. No other cleaning was done yet... probably won't. Nope, no markings in the liner, none on the shell or neck guard.

000_0065.jpg

The neck guard has some dry rot. However, it's still sound. I don't think there's any way to fix this... is there?

000_0068.jpg

This is the first time I ever saw a front plate held on by twigs! LOL. I'm not going to change them. I don't see any reason to remove the plate. The penciled in 'X' is the only mark I could find that was legible.

All in all, it's a pretty nice helmet (as far as I'm concerned). The patina is nice and its lacquer is very nice. It will look good on display with the rest of the collection.

:D Ron

joerookery said:
Do you notice anything about the front plate?

Nice! I love these quizzes! Are you talking about the number of lozenges in the middle shield?

Thanks all,

About the 'quiz', when I got this one 'in hand', one of the first things I noticed was that the large crown had been removed and reattached. I have a couple 'headless eagles', or what I call 'Spartacist' helmets, but this is the first time I ever saw the crown this way. First, it was removed with care, not just snipped off as the eagle's heads or crowns tend to be. The only thing I've seen that cuts metal this way is a jeweler's saw. Then, it was reattached carefully as well... soldered in such a way that the seam wouldn't show. It looks to be original to the plate, so somebody saved it to put it back on. (?)
Just a mystery that's fun to think about and it doesn't detract from the helmet as far as I'm concerned.

Very nice find Ron, as to dry rot, I think all you can do is keep your helmets humidified in the winter. My humidifier has been going in the collection room for almost a month now. I keep the humidity between 45 and 55 % as per Tony's recommendations. I dehumidify in the summer if things go above that 55.

Thanks Joe, perhaps... makes one wonder.

Thanks Brian, I agree, just keep it in a 'good home' and take care of it. So far, so good!

Thanks Philippe,

I was looking at the seller's feedback (now up to 5) and he sold an M15 for $250. It was missing its cockades and chin strap as well, but it looks as if a lack of feedback was a factor in this seller's auctions.

Back