Bayonet Crossguard stamping ???

simon505

Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea what the stamping 9.478 on a 1917 dated Prussian (W) marked 1884/98 Gew 98K bayonet could mean?

Most unit marks I've seen have a combination of letters and numbers in a crossguard stamping. I don't believe it to be a post ww1 turkish reissue stamping as the style of the numbers is identical to those I've seen used on unit marked bayonets and I don't think the Turks used decimal points in their stampings.

Condition is rough (sorry there's no picture, my camera's in the Sony hospital at the moment) and the scabbard's pitted overall. The marker was JA Henckels and it was serveral acceptance stamps overall. Paid £20 for it in a junk shop in town a few years ago....true collector behaviour, couldn't resist!

If anyone know's a bit more about crossguard stampings I'd love to hear from you.

All the best,

Simon

During the first world war, and especially towards the end, the practice of leaving Regimental markings was discontinued. You find some simple unit markings such as yours that could mean almost anything. It could mean 9th company, weapon no. 478 of an unknown Infantry Regiment. That would probably be the most common assumption, but there's still no way to know.

Back