Bent Vulkanfiber

garlanj

Hi all
Wonder if anyone has an answer to this (although I suspect it will be “no”).
I’ve just got a vulkanfiber shell from a forum member but it’s a little distorted and out of shape and I was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem and if so, how they sorted it out. From what I’ve seen, old Vulcan is a bit fragile so trying to use a stretcher or similar would probably crack it. Would heat or steam work? Or would that damage the finish - I assume they have a lacquered finish like a leather one so either of those methods would damage it?
Any suggestions would be most grateful received.
Happy New Year
Jeremy

In my experience, there is no solution to this problem. On one of James’s VF helmets, I tried using a hair dryer but to no avail. This is an early form of very hard plastic, I don’t believe there is anyway to reshape it. I also don’t think that finish was ever applied, everything was just buffed. My experience only.

It took over 100 years to get into that shape .
It will take some time to get back right.
I made a rig with a antique hat stretcher here

https://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14774

Hook it up and put a couple of turns on it every week and it may just get to were you need o go.

Here are a few pictures to (hopefully) show what I mean. It's in a bit of a state but will be my COVID Lockdown III project :D
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0020.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
As it's not lacquered, might slowly heating in the electric oven work? Or would I just be best off accepting its always going to be twisted?
Cheers all

I’m sorry but also in my opinion you would need a complete form with the wanted shape of the helmet where you can put it on for cool down. When the fiber is malleable, it must be hold in position until it’s harden. Unfortunately I don‘t think that you will get a proper solution sculpting it by hand.

Thanks Sandy, I think you’re right. Maybe I’ll just display it so the twist doesn’t show :)
All the best
Jeremy

I have several antique wooden forms used for blocking felt hats. In addition I also use adjustable antique hat stretchers for restoration. My suggestion would be to buy one of the wooden blocking forms, making sure it is big enough, put your helmet down on it securely and just leave it. Overtime the helmet may adjust back into proper shape. It certainly will display better if blocked. The problem with the hat stretchers are that they go up inside the helmet. When used, the helmet must rest upside down on its top or sit on its visors....not good!

Thanks Tony, I’ll give it a go. Thanks all for your input, I’ll be sure to post a picture if it ever straightens up.
Stay safe

So here's stage one of the restoration.
As suggested by Brian, I bought a hat stretcher (only a cheap one off ebay though).
Although the helmet is twisted, it's still pretty strong with no cracks so I put in the stretcher and turned the screw whilst at the same time saying a little prayer. The shell creaked a lot but eventually moved with the stretcher and got back a fair bit of shape.
I'll leave the stretcher in there and put a note in my will to ask one of my great grandchildren to remove it in 2100 :D
After the rack, I thought I'd give it a bit of a clean too. Pictures of the results are below. All I need to do is fix the rear peak and put on some hardware, the liner will have to wait. Just have to keep my eyes open for a nice wappen now :)
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG

It looks really good, my compliment :bravo:
Maybe a little heat could work to keep the shape permanently? According Wikipedia Vulcanfiber is permanently temperatur-resistent up to 110°C but a processing temperature of 180°C shall not be exeeded.
But it is a risk...don’t know if a 100 years old Vulcanfiber would be processable like a new material...

Thank you for your kind comments gentlemen.

Sandy - must admit I’m tempted to pop it in the oven but I’ll see how the stretcher does on it’s own first :)

This is the first vulkan I’ve had and I must admit, I’m a fan of the finish it has.

Thanks Brian. It’ll only be a ‘display’ shell but looks good enough for that I think. Did you recognise 4 of your stars ;)

You are right, the finish is beautiful. Hope it will keep in shape without any risky trials :bravo:

Back