Bing Ersatz

SkipperJohn

I have had this helmet for a while but I just recently acquired an original Bavarian Kokarde for it, so I guess I can list it as my latest find.
This is a Bavarian Ersatz helmet made of thin steel and produced by the Bing Company. Bing started in business in 1880 making toys, and later began manufacturing scientific and educational materials, kitchenware, tableware, office equipment, record players, and electrical goods. They were contracted to make 100,000 helmets for the German Army in World War 1 and made the Stahlhelm in size 64. I do not know the production numbers of the "tin" Pickelhauben.

QMuoeG9.jpg

35P9kQ4.jpg

ZXAkHVD.jpg

Go916Z4.jpg

The only part of the makers mark that is still legible is part of the first letter and part of the last letter. The rest has been worn away over time. The size is still legible and is shown in the common "Bing Red":

T0Bc5I3.jpg

The liner is intact, though the stitching is missing, and appears to have an oil cloth layer over the thin leather:

SIGmKsl.jpg

The liner is held in with bent pins and between the liner and helmet shell there is a strip of felt to provide some comfort to the wearer:

aPxOMaa.jpg

The Wappen is thin stamped brass, fairly detailed, and held on with bent pins:

42GBSIf.jpg

All-in-all the helmet resembles a standard Model 1895 (1896 in Bavarian!):

CKIU82j.jpg

John :)

Thank you Brother James for your assistance in finding an original Bavarian Kokarde!!!

Lost Skeleton said:
Super Bing, John. What image sharing service are you using?

Chas

I'm using picorator. I have to edit the photos before I load them into picorator. Sizing has proven to be a challenge. The above photos are sized to 25%.

John

Thats a nice one and even not an easy one to find

Congrats with that find :thumb up:

Jonas

I also had one in decent shape years ago which I bought from Randy T before Age of Kings existed so that gives an idea. I had to sell it though. It had the complete hand painted red Gbr Bing in the top. These seem to have dented very easily due to thin gauge of metal. I have never seen one in perfect condition.

Late to the party, but my God, that is a beautiful helmet. I missed out on one for the princely sum of $15 back in 1984 due to my own ignorance, lack of the internet or good books on the subject of ersatz, and the advice of "experts" back when I was basically still a dumb kid.

Still kicking myself whenever I see one of these posted.

Outstanding find. One of my personal "grail" helmets as I really like the ersatz helms. Amazing...

Semper Fi,

Bryan.

Lost Skeleton said:
Super Bing, John. What image sharing service are you using?

Chas

Picorator gave up the ghost, just like photobucket.
This is my second "go around" and I am using imgur.com.
They "guarantee" that photos will never disappear. I guess we will see how that goes.

John [-o< [-o< [-o<

Back