Black Brunswicker

Stu2067

This is one of my favorite paintings by the Artist John Everett Millais. It shows a Black Brunswicker, from the Prussian cavalry that fought at Waterloo, who were almost completely decimated in that battle. Painted in 1860.

bb5gc.jpg

I wish I owned it! Im guessing its current value would be in the region of $1.5 million maybe.
I understand at the time that the British were a little concerned that Napeleon may turn towards their country to invade. Im still scratching my head wondering why the little generals picture is in the background??

Actually I think that the Brunswickers had little to do with the Prussians outside of the "Alliance". They were more closely tied to the British during the Eighteenth and early ninteenth centuries.

As to the art work, perhaps the lady has mixed loyalties. Brunswick was subject to Napoleon's indirect rule through the puppet state Westphalia for a few years prior to 1813.

I seem to remember that when painting a good artist ( and this is one) paints apainting to draw the eye in a triangle or several to cover the whole paitnting as to give the whole picture a good coverage ,or the painter had a sence of humor .
The triangle is done by the viewers eyr and is a kind of trick ,I am proabably babling at this point again .I love painting
This one of My favorite unites of Brunswickers next to the uhlans
Mark
P.S note the hand trying to push the door open then the dog begging then the young lady head down ,looks like he is leaving ,so after that small series of triangle it tells a story ,and maybe that is why Bonaparte is in the Pic.
Tony do not show this to Kaiser he does need tht in his head right know .
Mark :)

This is a very interesting painting, Maggie pointed out the fold creases in the dress, indicationg that it was put on in a hurry, with out hanging or pressing to remove the creases. It would be interesting to know more of the history of the painting.
Gus

Back