Boxing Day Pix for Mr. Huxley

A

Anonymous

Hi Mike:

I'm afraid I can't spare any Pickelhauben this Boxing Day, but I have a few pictures of a brave anonymous sailor and his awards to share with you.

This is a group I purchased at the MAX show. It consists of a studio portrait, a Spange consisting of an EK 2 and Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, a naval Verwundeten Abzeichen in silver, and a "Walter Schot fec." marked Zeppelin commemorative.

To be a Luftschiffer and receive a wound badge in silver, yet survive to acquire a 1920 Zep commemorative, would certainly make for a fascinating narrative. Let's raise a glass to the great unknown.

Chas.

Sailor.jpg

PICT0350.jpg

PICT0349.jpg

PICT0348.jpg

PICT0351.jpg

PICT0347.jpg

epsomgreen said:
I'm afraid I can't spare any Pickelhauben this Boxing Day, Let's raise a glass to the great unknown.

Oh Chas,

The pics of the grouping in itself is a fantastic Boxing Day gift. That's one hell of a nice group to care for and I can only =D> your skill in picking it up.

Now the thing is, don't be shy ... if you have this group I'm sure you have more to share with us all. I, and I'm sure, most of us here love to see nice mounted groupings.

So lets get posting. If I show you mine, will you show me yours!!!!!!

So Here's a couple of Bars that I have to get us going.

This one is in an original storage box from the bar maker. It was awarded to a Saxon Officer and consists of :- the Knight’s Cross of the Military St. Henry Order; followed by the Knight’s 2nd Class with Swords of the Merit and Albert Orders, (these 3 awards are known as the Saxon Trio), last of all the Prussian Iron Cross 2nd Class. Unfortunatly I'm unable to attribute this bar to a name

boxsaxon7vvs1um.jpg

The front of the makers case.

boxsaxon3s0zz.jpg

Now that's it for the moment ... but I'll post more later.

Come on guys ... get posting.

Rendsburg said:
Chas live at his own Museum.

I fear Otto exaggerates. Mike, that Ordenspange ist sehr Wunderschön. You've got some top drawer stuff, my lad.

Here's my contribution; a respectable (albeit unattributed) Spange for a Braunschweiger Landwehr officer.

Chas.

PICT0361.jpg

PICT0365.jpg

Mike:

I may be getting ahead of myself, but here is another Braunschweig Spange. This time the recipient was a Husaren Mannschaften. A free beer for the first to identify the curiosity at dexter.

PICT0366.jpg

PICT0367.jpg

epsomgreen said:
A free beer for the first to identify the curiosity at dexter.

Oh Chas,

Now you are making my mouth water. That Spange for a Braunschweiger Landwehr officer is an absolute beauty. What a history there and length of service as well. \:D/ The House Order has been one that I've been after for ages.

Now for that free beer. First of all what do you mean by "dexter" this poor English slob doesn't understand his cousins meaning?? :dontknow: But if your talking about the last 2 awards then at the moment you've got me foxed??

Now to keep things going here's a second cased Saxon Spange in a Schaffemberg marked case. Another Officer award I'm afraid ..but I'll get on to showing some Mannschaften bars later.

casedsaxonbar14wb.jpg

Back of case with makers labels.

casedsaxonbar36ud.jpg

Chas, you are a naughty boy. Trying to use those ten cent words. "Dexter" is referring to the right side of the award grouping. You need to be punished...... so to atone for your sins you need to immediately send me both of the metal bars. Thanks. Don’t you feel better Chas???

Kaiser Bill said:
You need to be punished...... so to atone for your sins you need to immediately send me both of the metal bars. Thanks. Don’t you feel better Chas???

Uh, not really. :stop:

Bill, it's punishment enough to be dazzled by Mike's Sachsen treasures.

Mike, the two medals at the right of the Spange are the Friedrich Wilhelm Herzog zu Braunschweig 1809-1909 Erinnerungsmedaille (commemorating the centennial of Braunschweig's participation in the Peninsular War) and an unidentified medal from Thailand! How the latter made its way to the bar is anybody's guess.

And, if right is dexter, left is sinister.

Chas.

Moving right along....This is a rather eccentric, regulations be damned, parade mount from the 1930s. Would anyone care to comment on the priority?

Chas.

PICT0324.jpg

PICT0325.jpg

Today's final post; a Marinekorps Flandern Mannschaften Spange. This bar could be worn sans medals as a ribbon bar.

Chas.

PICT0368.jpg

PICT0369.jpg

Chas,

Your collection still astounds me. That 9 place bar is a strange one, but as you say truly a post 1934 statement.

The thing that strikes me is the possition of the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse am Band fur Kampfer in the position it is. In fact the total mix up of the pre-war awards is very confusing.

Chas, I would value your reasoning on this Spange. But it is a great one. This guy must have been an Officer or a Back room boy prior to WWI. he gained the RAO and the KO 4 Klasse ohne Schwertern along with a 25 year officers service cross. He was a regular during the presentation of the Centenery Medal.

The thing that gets me the most is, that these bars are fantastic ... I can't keep up with you Chas.

However ... a bar from a Baden Officer that may not have survived the war is my next post.

badenzahringen2xbarribf0sa.jpg

badenzahringen2xbarb3fe.jpg

Hi Otto:

The Baden Orden vom Zähringer Löwen (Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern) has arms made of green glass. It certainly is a beautiful medal, which is why I have one too. :oops:

Chas.

PICT0379.jpg

PICT0380.jpg

Mike Huxley said:
The thing that strikes me is the possition of the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2.Klasse am Band fur Kampfer in the position it is. In fact the total mix up of the pre-war awards is very confusing.

Chas, I would value your reasoning on this Spange.
Gosh, Mike:

All I can add is the thing gives me indigestion. The medals are genuine, of that much I'm certain. However, in addition to the anomalies you discussed, the Fürstlich Lippesche Kriegs-Verdienstkreuz has a "Nichtkämpfer" ribbon. The eccentricity of this Spange might have passed muster during the Weimar period, but post 1934 would be a flagrant abomination.

I imagine our friends at Wehrmacht Awards would give it the heave ho.

Chas.

I plan to take a breather for a few days, so I'll leave this for your consideration: a Frackspange for a Preußen soldier of the Freedom War. The awards consist of the Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse, Russian Cross of St George the Great Martyr and Vanquisher (Voyenny Orden Sviatogo Velikomuchenika i Pobedonostsa Georgia) 3rd Class with bow, Rother Adler-Orden 4. Klasse, Dienstauszeichnungs-Kreuz für Offiziere (twenty-five years), and Kriegsdenkmünze für 1813-14.

Though this individual ended his career as an officer, he was undoubtedly from the enlisted ranks at the time of the war. The Cross of St. George was awarded to men and NCOs. Had he been an officer, he would have received the enameled Order of St. George.

The silver EK frame is multi-piece construction. I think it's a safe bet the decorations were remounted at some point in time.

Chas.

PICT0388.jpg

PICT0387.jpg

PICT0384.jpg

PICT0386.jpg

PICT0385.jpg

Back