BRITIS DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION #2

Yeohelmetguy

Hello All,

Shown below are three more dragoon helmets from my collection of British and Commonwealth regular army and yeomanry cavalry regimental helmets.

The first helmet is to the Princess Louise's (Canadian) Dragoon Guards. Shown is a 5th Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards 1871 Pattern Other Ranks Helmet. The regiment wore white horsehair plumes on their helmets while trumpeters and bandsmen wore white over red plumes. The 5th Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards took the brass/gilt dragoon helmet into wear in 1872. Princess Louise (18 March 1848-3 December 1939), Dutchess of Argyll was the sixth child of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. She married John Campbell the Duke of Argyl and Marquess of Lorne on 21 March 1871. John Campbell served as the Governor General of Canada from 1878-1884.

The second helmet shown is Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) 1871 trooper's helmet circa 1907. Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) use raised at personal expense by Donald Alexander Smith, First Baron Strathcona and Royal Mount with an establishment of 500 all ranks and taken into British service in January 1900 for the purpose of serving in the Boer War. The regiment arrived in South Africa in April 1900 returning to Canada in March 1901 and disbanded. The regiment was re-raised in 1909 and re-designated Lord Strathcona’s Horse (Royal Canadians) in 1911. The regiment has been on continuous service ever since serving all the major conflicts Canada participated in and is currently part of the 1st Canadian Mechanized Brigade. The regiment originally wore the 1871 pattern dragoon helmet in white/silver metal as stipulated in the 1903 Militia Orders and Regulations. By 1907 the helmet had changed to a brass/gilt helmet retaining the 1903 helmet plate. It is unclear exactly, but sometime in 1907 the pattern of the white metal helmet plate star was changed from a hobnailed pattern to a rayed star with the central device remaining unchanged. A white over red horsehair plume was worn on both the white metal and brass pattern helmets.

The third helmet is a Royal Canadian Dragoons 1871 pattern other ranks helmet as adopted in 1912. Prior to 1912 the Royal Canadian Dragoons wore a white foreign service pattern helmet with a simple spike without plume and a similar styled helmet plate.

I hope everyone finds this post helpful, interesting and entertaining and worthy of comment.

Best regards,

David

Princess Louise's (Canadian) Dragoon Guards 1.jpgPrincess Louise's (Canadian) Dragoon Guards 2.jpgLord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) 1.jpgLord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) 2.jpgRoyal Canadian Dragoons 1.jpgRoyal Canadian Dragoons 2.jpg

... Thank you so much for looking at this post Coert! I am so pleased you enjoy the pictures of these helmets from my collection. Your very generous comments are much appreciated, thank you! More posts to come in the near future of other helmets from my collection.

Kind regards,

David

I am again enthusiastic about the charisma of these beautiful helmets,

Frank
Hello Frank,

Thank you for viewing my post! I am glad that you are enjoying the pictures of the dragoon helmets in my collection. You are most kind with your very generous and positive comments. I will be posting more pictures of the helmets in my collection soon.

Again, thank you and best regards,

David

We are absolutely enjoying these beautiful helmets David. Thank you.

I was many years a Leopard Tank Commander in both RCD and LdSH (RC).

Fantastic to see helmets from my two Regiments.

We are absolutely enjoying these beautiful helmets David. Thank you.

I was many years a Leopard Tank Commander in both RCD and LdSH (RC).

Fantastic to see helmets from my two Regiments.
Thank you so much for looking at my post, and your very kind comments, Tony! I have enjoyed curating my collection and am always in the search for exceptional helmets to continue to grow my collection which currently stands at 27 dragoon helmets. I think, when collectors look at collecting British... English, Welsh and Scottish helmets, commonwealth, meaning Canadian helmets are more often than not overlooked when in fact they are very attractive helmets and relatively hard to find especially in terrific condition, so I am very pleased to have these. I also have a Governor General's Body Guard helmet in my collection. I'm so glad that you have a particular appreciation for these helmets especially the Royal Canadian Dragoons and the Lord Strathcona's Horse through you association with the two regiments!

I was an AH-64 pilot for a number of years in the United States Army...

My very best regards,

David

David,

These are superb. The quality of the items in your collection is tremendous. These type of helmets in anything approaching mint condition are very hard to find.

Patrick

David,

These are superb. The quality of the items in your collection is tremendous. These type of helmets in anything approaching mint condition are very hard to find.

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Again, thank you very much! Your comments mean a great deal as you seem to have a very good eye for quality. I like to think and hope I have set a fairly high standard of quality for any helmet I purchase to add to my collection. There is a lot of "junk" in the marketplace that is passed off to the unsuspecting and unknowledgeable as being complete and authentic... I try to do my due diligence. I will reach out to regimental museums for details or purchase from long holding families or fellow collectors that I trust and respect and generally do not take things at face value... I have passed on a lot of helmets because they don't rise to my standard of quality.

Any thoughts on the Mid Lothian plate in my reply to you in my first post?

Best regards,

David

Oh my - those are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your collection and your passion.

Oh my - those are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your collection and your passion.
Hello Jeff!

THANK YOU!!! I appreciate you taking a look at the photographs of some of the dragoon helmets in my collection... and yes very much a passion! Likewise, I appreciate you very generous and very kind comment!

Best regards,

David

Thanks so much for posting! If I were in the British military, I'd apply to be a Dragoon just for the helmet / uniform. Of course, I'd go broke purchasing them, but private purchase is always worth it! ;)

Ron

Hello Ron,

THANK YOU!!! I just love these British Army dragoon helmets... the cavalry... the dragoons in particular would be my arm of choice too. Even the lowly government issued troopers helmets were pretty spectacular! Again. thank you for looking at these helmets from my collection. More posts of other helmets in my collection to come over the next several weeks... I hope you will look at the as well!

Best regards,

David

Back