British Ceremonal non-Helmets

Peter_Suciu

While I mostly collect helmets, I have picked up some very nice examples of the British head dress that isn't exactly helmets. I've posted a few of these before, but here goes in one single post since I have a couple of additions:

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Feather Bonnet:
bonnet1.jpg

Royal Horse Artillery Busby:
busby.jpg

Royal Fusiliers Racoon Skin Cap (busby):
fusiliers.jpg

Welsh Guards Bearskin Cap:
bearskin.jpg

Hello All: I used to wear the RHA Busby from my Brit Army days. Used to give me a headache and I couldn't look down (it would fall off). My uniform had a date in the jacket of 1916. I really wish I had kept that uniform but the Army, unreasonably wanted it back. I have always wanted to buy an RHA Busby - anyone hear of one for sale, let me know. Thanks.

I was stationed with 3rd RHA Regiment and did duty at Buckingham Place and a few other places.

Hello again: Forgot to add what I was told about the RHA Busby. This is probably not true but when I was issued the uniform the older squaddies told me the Red Flap was for carrying messages, the Plume was a pull-through for a gun, the Lines (cords) were spare reins and the Busby was also used to feed the horse. The brass 'ball' buttons on my jacket were supposed to be emergency bullets. I think some of the old soldiers were pulling my leg, but who knows. The red line down the pants were to guide troops marching (peripheral vision guide). Wearing this complete uniform, on a hot day was like being wrapped in a tight spandex tube - looked good though.

I can imagine that wearing the RHA uniform for ceremonial duty is not fun. The RHA fills in for the Horse Guards in August when that unit goes on training and the horses get leave!

Well, the stories I've heard but they are fanciful if nothing else. But doubt they are truthful. The Busby, which is just the British name for the headgear, is of Hungarian origin, and grew out of the fur hats... why it became a larger shell I don't know, but I assume it was to offer some protection from other Hussars in combat.

Back