BRITISH DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION #3

Yeohelmetguy

Hello all!

In this new post showcasing the British and Commonwealth regular army and yeomanry helmets in my cavalry helmet collection I have these two 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabinieris) helmets. The first helmet pictured is an 1848 Albert pattern troopers' helmet and the second helmet pictured is an 1871 pattern officer’s helmet.

A brief history of the regiment from its formation to the period the pictured helmets were use follows:

The regiment was raised during the reign of James II by Richard Lumley, 1st Earl of Scarborough, who recruited an independent troop of horse in response to the 1685 Monmouth Rebellion. It was subsequently used to create Lord Lumley’s Regiment of Horse and ranked as the 9th Regiment of Horse; the Queen Dowager (Charles !! widow, Catherine of Braganza) then gave approval for Lumley to use the title “The Queen Dowager's Horse”. Lumley was removed in 1687 for refusing to admit Catholic officers into the regiment and replaced by the loyalist Sir John Talbot. In 1690, it became the 8th Regiment of Horse and transferred to Flanders for the Nine Years War. The regiment was renamed The King's Regiment of Carabineers in 1692 and was ranked as the 7th Horse in 1694 and it fought at the Battle of Blenheim in August 1704 and the Battle of Ramillies in May 1706 during the War of Spanish Succession.

When the regiment returned to England in 1745 almost all of the regiment's recruits were Irish Protestants, so it was moved to the Irish establishment in 1746 as the 3rd Irish Horse. During the Seven Years War (1756-63), it fought in Germany, including the battles of Warburg (1760) and Bellingshausen (1761). The regiment returned to the British establishment in 1788 as the 6th Regiment of Dragoon Guards. Then, in 1793, it was sent to fight the French in the Low Countries once again, gaining Willems (1794) as a battle honor. The regiment was back in Ireland from 1796 to 1807, countering French landings and the Irish Rebellion (1798). From there, it sent a detachment of 400 officers and men to South America in 1806. From 1807 to 1855, it alternated between garrison duties in England and Ireland. In 1826, it was renamed the 6th Regiment of Dragoon Guards (Carabineers). Then, in 1840, its title changed again to the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). In 1855, it was sent to the Crimean War (1854-56), although the only battle honor it gained there was Sevastopol. It then fought in the Delhi campaign during the Indian Mutiny (1857-59) in 1857, only returning to the British Isles in 1861. The regiment was back in India in the late 1870s to fight in the Second Afghan War (1878-80), taking part in the Khyber Pass operations. The regiment returned to England, remaining there until the outbreak of the Boer War (1899-1902), during which it helped relieve Kimberley (1900) before joining the operations in the Orange Free State. In August 1914, it deployed to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force. It served throughout the First World War (1914-18) on the Western Front, fighting in many engagements in both a mounted and infantry role. These included Mons (1914), the Marne (1914), the first two battles of Ypres (1914 and 1915), the Somme (1916), Arras (1917), Cambrai (1917) and Amies (1918).
The regiment spent the post-World War One years stationed at the Curragh during the Irish War of Independence (1919-21), before returning home to Aldershot.

The 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers) had the unique distinction of being the only regiment among the seven dragoon guard regiments to be clothed in blue tunics instead of usual red/scarlet of the other six regiments. Do note the change to the spelling of “Carabinieri” on the title scroll at the center of the helmet plate… the first helmet, an 1848 Albert pattern helmet with the old spelling “Carabineers” vice the new spelling on the 1871 pattern the officer's helmet. The helmet plume was changed from black horsehair to white horsehair in 1873.

Please enjoy these photographs... thank you!

Regards all,

David

6th Dragoon Guards 2.jpg6th Dragoon Guards 8.jpg6th Dragoon Guards 4.jpg
1848 Albert pattern trooper's helmet, 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabineers)

6th Dragoon Guards C 3 (2).jpg6th Dragoon Guards C 6.jpg6th Dragoon Guards C 4.jpg
1871 pattern officer's helmet, 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers)

A beautiful helmet and thank you for this interesting post :)
... Thank you so much, Sandmann, for viewing this post and I hope you are enjoying all my posts of the British dragoon helmets in my collection! Also, many thanks for your more than generous and very kind comments!

Regards,

David

David,

and again an excellent contribution to the venerable history of the Britisch Army. In addition, the photos of these unique helmets from your collection. Very instructive for me, because I admire the tradition handed down very much. Whenever I`m in Great Britain I always take the opportunity to visit a regimental museum in a larger city.

Best regards

Frank

David,

and again an excellent contribution to the venerable history of the Britisch Army. In addition, the photos of these unique helmets from your collection. Very instructive for me, because I admire the tradition handed down very much. Whenever I`m in Great Britain I always take the opportunity to visit a regimental museum in a larger city.

Best regards

Frank
Hello Frank,

When I was living in Hanau, just outside of Frankfurt, I use to look forward to visiting the various museums across Germany to admire the mostly German Empire regimental militaria... I remember very distinctly the Bavarian Army Museum and was absolutely enthralled with magnitude and quality and variety of uniforms on display... was just marvelous! I originally was a German Empire collector until I later spent time in the United Kingdom when I discovered the beauty of collecting British dragoon helmets that now make up my collection!

Thank you again for taking the time continue to view my posts. I do appreciate you really very kind and very positive comments! I am so pleased you are finding the helmets and posts informative. I will be posting more of the helmets in my collection over the next several weeks.

Again, many thanks!!

My very best regards,

David

Hello all!

In this new post showcasing the British and Commonwealth regular army and yeomanry helmets in my cavalry helmet collection I have these two 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabinieris) helmets. The first helmet pictured is an 1848 Albert pattern troopers' helmet and the second helmet pictured is an 1871 pattern officer’s helmet.

A brief history of the regiment from its formation to the period the pictured helmets were use follows:

The regiment was raised during the reign of James II by Richard Lumley, 1st Earl of Scarborough, who recruited an independent troop of horse in response to the 1685 Monmouth Rebellion. It was subsequently used to create Lord Lumley’s Regiment of Horse and ranked as the 9th Regiment of Horse; the Queen Dowager (Charles !! widow, Catherine of Braganza) then gave approval for Lumley to use the title “The Queen Dowager's Horse”. Lumley was removed in 1687 for refusing to admit Catholic officers into the regiment and replaced by the loyalist Sir John Talbot. In 1690, it became the 8th Regiment of Horse and transferred to Flanders for the Nine Years War. The regiment was renamed The King's Regiment of Carabineers in 1692 and was ranked as the 7th Horse in 1694 and it fought at the Battle of Blenheim in August 1704 and the Battle of Ramillies in May 1706 during the War of Spanish Succession.

When the regiment returned to England in 1745 almost all of the regiment's recruits were Irish Protestants, so it was moved to the Irish establishment in 1746 as the 3rd Irish Horse. During the Seven Years War (1756-63), it fought in Germany, including the battles of Warburg (1760) and Bellingshausen (1761). The regiment returned to the British establishment in 1788 as the 6th Regiment of Dragoon Guards. Then, in 1793, it was sent to fight the French in the Low Countries once again, gaining Willems (1794) as a battle honor. The regiment was back in Ireland from 1796 to 1807, countering French landings and the Irish Rebellion (1798). From there, it sent a detachment of 400 officers and men to South America in 1806. From 1807 to 1855, it alternated between garrison duties in England and Ireland. In 1826, it was renamed the 6th Regiment of Dragoon Guards (Carabineers). Then, in 1840, its title changed again to the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers). In 1855, it was sent to the Crimean War (1854-56), although the only battle honor it gained there was Sevastopol. It then fought in the Delhi campaign during the Indian Mutiny (1857-59) in 1857, only returning to the British Isles in 1861. The regiment was back in India in the late 1870s to fight in the Second Afghan War (1878-80), taking part in the Khyber Pass operations. The regiment returned to England, remaining there until the outbreak of the Boer War (1899-1902), during which it helped relieve Kimberley (1900) before joining the operations in the Orange Free State. In August 1914, it deployed to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force. It served throughout the First World War (1914-18) on the Western Front, fighting in many engagements in both a mounted and infantry role. These included Mons (1914), the Marne (1914), the first two battles of Ypres (1914 and 1915), the Somme (1916), Arras (1917), Cambrai (1917) and Amies (1918).
The regiment spent the post-World War One years stationed at the Curragh during the Irish War of Independence (1919-21), before returning home to Aldershot.

The 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers) had the unique distinction of being the only regiment among the seven dragoon guard regiments to be clothed in blue tunics instead of usual red/scarlet of the other six regiments. Do note the change to the spelling of “Carabinieri” on the title scroll at the center of the helmet plate… the first helmet, an 1848 Albert pattern helmet with the old spelling “Carabineers” vice the new spelling on the 1871 pattern the officer's helmet. The helmet plume was changed from black horsehair to white horsehair in 1873.

Please enjoy these photographs... thank you!

Regards all,

David

View attachment 31285View attachment 31286View attachment 31287
1848 Albert pattern trooper's helmet, 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabineers)

View attachment 31288View attachment 31289View attachment 31290
1871 pattern officer's helmet, 6th Dragoon Guards (The Carabiniers)
This is not a simple stunning helmet but a jewel masterpiece.

This is not a simple stunning helmet but a jewel masterpiece.
Hello Zeb!

Thank you for continuing to follow my posts of British Army dragoon that are in my collection. I appreciate you continued interest... I will be posting more images of helmets in my collection very soon so please look for them. Also, thank you for your very generous and very thoughtful comments on these helmets... I agree and think your characterization of them as "jewel masterpieces" is most flattering and appropriate. So again, thank you so much!

Kind regards,

David

David, the excellence of your collection is jaw-dropping! Only very mint helmets!
Thanks for showing them to us here!

Regards, Coert.

David, the excellence of your collection is jaw-dropping! Only very mint helmets!
Thanks for showing them to us here!

Regards, Coert.
Hello Coert,

Thank you, I am so pleased to you viewing my post displaying my collection of British Dragoon helmets! I appreciate your very kind, very positive and very enthusiastic comments regarding my collection. I try very hard to adhere to a very high standard of quality and will spend what ever time it might take to find the most perfect helmet I can find! Again, I appreciate you looking at my helmets and excited you are enjoying my posts... more posts to come soon!

Kindest regards,

David

Back