BRITISH DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION #4

Yeohelmetguy

This is my fourth post on the Forum highlighting the British dragoon/cavalry helmets that make up my collection. In this post I am highlighting the two “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry” helmets. The “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry” adopted the 1847 or Albert pattern dragoon helmet in 1860. The helmet, unlike most other cavalry regiments that wore the 1847/Albert pattern helmet in silver/German silver or gilt/brass, their metal helmet was japanned black with silver metal fittings. From 1860 to 1870 the displayed a black plume which was then changed to white and worn as such from 1870 through 1873. My two helmets, aside from the obvious difference in the plumes appear to be identical, however there are subtle differences like the size and style of the rose style ear rosettes that support the silver chin chain. In the earlier helmet with the black plume the ear rosettes are of a slightly smaller diameter than the white plume later pattern helmet. The attachment of the chin chain, however, remained the same being attached to the rosettes via hooks affixed at the bottom of the rosettes and not by a screw attached to the back of the ear rosettes which is common among other regiments helmets.

The Staffordshire Regiment was formed on 4 July 1794, the first commanding officer being Colonel George G. L. Gower, 1st Duke od Sutherland. The regiment, originally titled The Staffordshire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry, a part-time cavalry unit numbering about 300 men was divided into troops associated with the Staffordshire towns of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stafford, Lichfield, Leek and Walsall. The uniform of the regiment was: a red jacket with yellow facings, white waistcoat, white leather breeches and boots. As their headdress the regiment wore a Tarleton style helmet with bearskin crest and a red over white feather plume at the side and were armed with a sword and pistol. The regimental motto was "Pro Aris et Focis" (Hearth and Home) and the badge was the Staffordshire Knot. The regiment was first called into service in 1795 in order to support the civil powers in suppressing the Bread Riots. Future Prime Minister Robert Peel was an officer in the Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1820.

As a result of its valuable service to the Crown, in 1838 Queen Victoria bestowed the title “Royal” with the regiment being known going forward as the “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry. In 1842, the regiment was embodied for 6 weeks when riots again broke out in the county. As a result of that service, the regiment was presented with 12 silver trumpets inscribed "Presented by a grateful County to the Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry for their services in 1842. The Staffordshire Regiment adopted the 1847 Albert pattern helmet in 1860 and unique among cavalry regiments as their helmet was Japanned black. By 1875, the regiment had expanded to 12 Troops with headquarters at Lichfield. The strength on 1 December 1875 was stated to be 495 with 104 wanting to complete. At this point, the uniform was blue with scarlet facing and silver lace.

The Yeomanry was not intended to serve overseas, but due to the string of defeats during the “Black Week” in December 1899, the British government realized they were going to need more troops than just the regular army. A Royal Warrant was issued on 24 December 1899 to allow volunteer forces to serve in the Second Boer War. The Royal Warrant asked standing Yeomanry regiments to provide service companies of approximately 115 men each for the Imperial Yeomanry. The Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry regiment provided the 6th (Staffordshire) Company for the 4th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry in 1900 and the 106th (Staffordshire) Company for the same battalion in 1901. The regiment moved to Tamworth Street in Lichfield (since demolished) in 1905 and then to Friar’s Walk (off Bailey Street) in Stafford in 1914.

I hope everyone will enjoy the brief history of the Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry regiment covering the period the regiment wore the two helmets in this post and of course the helmets themselves. Please feel free to post any comments!

Best regards,

David

Queens Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry 11.jpg
Queens Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry 15.jpg
Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet 1860-1870

Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry 3.jpg
Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry 4.jpg
Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet as worn 1870-1873

1 Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry 3 (3).jpg
1 Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry 1.jpg

Superb examples, ironic that both the Brits and the German smaller states use the oak leaf and laurels to surround the central motifs of their ornate helmet plates.

... THANK YOU for your very kind comments regarding these two helmets for my collection of British dragoon helmets. You make a very interesting observation about the use of oak leaves and laurels has military motif. I would suspect that their use can be traced back to the Romans and the Ceasars who crowned themselves with oak and laurels and bestowed the same on various Roman Legions as one can see Oak and Laurel incorporated into various Roman military armor and standards... the oak leaves symbolizing strength and the laurels, victory... just a thought!

Again, thanks for looking at this helmet post!

Regards,

David

Absolutely gorgeous pieces (your whole collection, in fact). I can see why you love these - thanks for sharing!

Absolutely gorgeous pieces (your whole collection, in fact). I can see why you love these - thanks for sharing!
Hi Jeff,

THANK YOU so much!!! I am so pleased you are enjoying my collection and much as I do... and yes, I do love these helmets... I enjoy the search for them, the curating of them in my collection, the beauty in their design and regimental specificity, the regimental histories associated with them and if lucky enough to acquire a helmet where the original owner is known, and I have several in my collection, the stories of the owners. I will continue to post other helmets from my collection in the near future! i hope you will continue to look and comment as they appear.

Again, thank you for looking!!

Best regards,

David

Terrific display, British helmets are among the most beautiful helmets.
... I couldn't agree more!! I think they are pretty unique among military head dress and one of the most eye-catching and if I can go so far as to say stunning head dresses the British Army ever adopted ... I am attracted by the individuality, artistry and beauty and variety of helmets from regiment to regiment. i do enjoy curating and displaying/showcasing these helmets. I appreciate your continued interest in my posts and my collection and I appreciate your positive comments... more posts to come in the coming weeks!

My best regards,

David

David, what a great wide-ranging collection. These are absolutely superb. The condition of them all is amazing. Congratulations!

Patrick

This is my fourth post on the Forum highlighting the British dragoon/cavalry helmets that make up my collection. In this post I am highlighting the two “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry” helmets. The “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry” adopted the 1847 or Albert pattern dragoon helmet in 1860. The helmet, unlike most other cavalry regiments that wore the 1847/Albert pattern helmet in silver/German silver or gilt/brass, their metal helmet was japanned black with silver metal fittings. From 1860 to 1870 the displayed a black plume which was then changed to white and worn as such from 1870 through 1873. My two helmets, aside from the obvious difference in the plumes appear to be identical, however there are subtle differences like the size and style of the rose style ear rosettes that support the silver chin chain. In the earlier helmet with the black plume the ear rosettes are of a slightly smaller diameter than the white plume later pattern helmet. The attachment of the chin chain, however, remained the same being attached to the rosettes via hooks affixed at the bottom of the rosettes and not by a screw attached to the back of the ear rosettes which is common among other regiments helmets.

The Staffordshire Regiment was formed on 4 July 1794, the first commanding officer being Colonel George G. L. Gower, 1st Duke od Sutherland. The regiment, originally titled The Staffordshire Regiment of Gentlemen and Yeomanry, a part-time cavalry unit numbering about 300 men was divided into troops associated with the Staffordshire towns of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Stafford, Lichfield, Leek and Walsall. The uniform of the regiment was: a red jacket with yellow facings, white waistcoat, white leather breeches and boots. As their headdress the regiment wore a Tarleton style helmet with bearskin crest and a red over white feather plume at the side and were armed with a sword and pistol. The regimental motto was "Pro Aris et Focis" (Hearth and Home) and the badge was the Staffordshire Knot. The regiment was first called into service in 1795 in order to support the civil powers in suppressing the Bread Riots. Future Prime Minister Robert Peel was an officer in the Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1820.

As a result of its valuable service to the Crown, in 1838 Queen Victoria bestowed the title “Royal” with the regiment being known going forward as the “Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry. In 1842, the regiment was embodied for 6 weeks when riots again broke out in the county. As a result of that service, the regiment was presented with 12 silver trumpets inscribed "Presented by a grateful County to the Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry for their services in 1842. The Staffordshire Regiment adopted the 1847 Albert pattern helmet in 1860 and unique among cavalry regiments as their helmet was Japanned black. By 1875, the regiment had expanded to 12 Troops with headquarters at Lichfield. The strength on 1 December 1875 was stated to be 495 with 104 wanting to complete. At this point, the uniform was blue with scarlet facing and silver lace.

The Yeomanry was not intended to serve overseas, but due to the string of defeats during the “Black Week” in December 1899, the British government realized they were going to need more troops than just the regular army. A Royal Warrant was issued on 24 December 1899 to allow volunteer forces to serve in the Second Boer War. The Royal Warrant asked standing Yeomanry regiments to provide service companies of approximately 115 men each for the Imperial Yeomanry. The Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry regiment provided the 6th (Staffordshire) Company for the 4th Battalion, Imperial Yeomanry in 1900 and the 106th (Staffordshire) Company for the same battalion in 1901. The regiment moved to Tamworth Street in Lichfield (since demolished) in 1905 and then to Friar’s Walk (off Bailey Street) in Stafford in 1914.

I hope everyone will enjoy the brief history of the Queen’s Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry regiment covering the period the regiment wore the two helmets in this post and of course the helmets themselves. Please feel free to post any comments!

Best regards,

David

View attachment 31512
View attachment 31513
Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet 1860-1870

View attachment 31514
View attachment 31515
Queen's Own Royal Staffordshire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet as worn 1870-1873

View attachment 31516
View attachment 31517
David, these are absolutely gorgeous helmets! Keep the hits coming!
Cheers,
Dennis

David, these are absolutely gorgeous helmets! Keep the hits coming!
Cheers,
Dennis
Hi Dennis,

THANK YOU SO MUCH, I appreciate your enthusiastic comments! I am so glad that you are enjoying my posts and photographs of the dragoon helmets in my collection as well as the bits of regimental history. I appreciate you looking at my posts and are continuing to follow them with interest. I will be posting a couple of more helmets from the collection next week, so please be on the lookout!

Cheers,

David

Hello David,

this breathtaking design and thus the beauty of these exhibits is unique!
In addition to that, I enjoy the military history information in the respective articles…
I look forward to your further contributions!
Frank

Hello David,

this breathtaking design and thus the beauty of these exhibits is unique!
In addition to that, I enjoy the military history information in the respective articles…
I look forward to your further contributions!
Frank
Hello Frank,

Thank you so much for your very positive and enthusiastic comments about the dragoon helmets in my collection and that is am show casing here on the Forum. I am so pleased that you are enjoying the helmets and find the bit of history associated with the helmets and the regiments they represent, after all, what is an historical collection without an appreciate and understanding of the history behind it! I will continue to post more pictures and history about more of the British dragoon helmets in my collection in the coming weeks, so please be on the lookout!

Again, thank for your note, it is always a pleasure to hear from you!

Best regards,

David

Excellent helmets! The relief on the metalwork is beautiful. I also never knew about the Staffordshire Knot and had to read up a little on its history. Thanks for posting!

Ron

Excellent helmets! The relief on the metalwork is beautiful. I also never knew about the Staffordshire Knot and had to read up a little on its history. Thanks for posting!

Ron
Hi Ron,

Thrilled that you are enjoying my helmets in my posts so far and find the snippets of history I have included in the posts interesting and worth of further research. Thank you. again. for taking the time to look at my helmets and to post your comments... I appreciate your interest. There will be more helmet posts to come over the next several weeks!

Cheers,

David

Back