BRITISH DRAGOON HELMET COLLECTION

Yeohelmetguy

I am new to this forum, this being my first post. I was pleased to see a fellow British helmet collector displaying his collection here and very much inspired by "Chinstrap's" collection and thought I would share some of the British Dragoon helmets from the yeomanry, regular army, and commonwealth that make up my collection of some 27 helmets. Pictured are a rare 1860 1st Lancashire Mounted Rifles Volunteers helmet, a rare 1860 Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet, an 1871 pattern 1881 dated 1st Lifeguards officers' helmet and an 1871 pattern Hampshire Carabinieri helmet. I do hope the members of the forum enjoy the images I have posted!

1st Lancashire Mounted Rifle Volunteers 1.jpgPrince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry 1.jpg
1st Lifeguards 1.jpgHampshire Carabinieri 1.jpg

Very nice helmets, and in great condition too!
I'd love to see more of your collection.

Regards, Coert.

Welcome to us!
I`m always impressed by the design of British Army Headgear. In contrast to the „old army“ in Germany, the tradition is carried on there.
Very nice helmets!
Frank

Great helmets. Here is mine. 5th Dragoon Guards. Same type that my Great Grandfather wore.

Attachments

• 4C18B570-D073-4B9D-B7BB-D3F91A622FFC.jpeg
    4C18B570-D073-4B9D-B7BB-D3F91A622FFC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 4D0B00B1-4B46-4C1A-A5BD-E0335A0B1E37.jpeg
    4D0B00B1-4B46-4C1A-A5BD-E0335A0B1E37.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
Very nice helmets, and in great condition too!
I'd love to see more of your collection.

Regards, Coert.
Hello Coert,

Thank you so much for your very generous comments, I appreciate them!! I will be posting more picture of the helmets in my collection over the next little while... I think this site will only allow three or four images per post, but that said I will post more pictures!

Again, thank you and regards,

David

Welcome to us!
I`m always impressed by the design of British Army Headgear. In contrast to the „old army“ in Germany, the tradition is carried on there.
Very nice helmets!
Frank
Hello Frank,

I have to agree with you on that account, the British Army is so steeped in tradition and a strong desire to maintain those aspects of history and dress that separate and enshrine the uniqueness of the various regiments, but sadly even the institution of the Army can't ward off the inevitable downsizing an amalgamation that affects the regiments of the British Army. I think, if my recollection of my time in Germany serves me well, that the German Army, maybe not in dress but through music and drill maintains its own traditions. Like you, I am impressed with British Army head ware, hence my collection, but there are also lots of pretty stunning German Army empire period helmets to be collected and preserved!

Kind regards,

David

Great helmets. Here is mine. 5th Dragoon Guards. Same type that my Great Grandfather wore.
Hello Peter,

Yours is a lovely helmet, too! Thank you for your kind comment regarding my collection. I will be posting more pictures of my collection over the next little while to include my named officers pattern 5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales) Dragoon Guards helmet with original storage tin and several Canadian dragoon regimental helmets.

Again, thank you for looking and your remarks!

Regards,

David

I am new to this forum, this being my first post. I was pleased to see a fellow British helmet collector displaying his collection here and very much inspired by "Chinstrap's" collection and thought I would share some of the British Dragoon helmets from the yeomanry, regular army, and commonwealth that make up my collection of some 27 helmets. Pictured are a rare 1860 1st Lancashire Mounted Rifles Volunteers helmet, a rare 1860 Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry helmet, an 1871 pattern 1881 dated 1st Lifeguards officers' helmet and an 1871 pattern Hampshire Carabinieri helmet. I do hope the members of the forum enjoy the images I have posted!

View attachment 30984View attachment 30985
View attachment 30986View attachment 30987
Really stunning helmets in near mint condition. I love british helmets every day more. Thx for showing us and congrats.

Last edited:
Really stunning helmets in mear mint condition. I love british helmets every day more. Thx for showing us and congrats.
Hello Zebedeus,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my first post on this forum and for your very generous comments! Like you, I really do like the style and history of the helmets of the various cavalry regiments of the Victorian and Edwardian British Army, hence my collection. Yes, the helmets are in near mint condition as are most of those in my collection as I strive to search out the best possible examples I can find! I will be posting more images of helmets from my collection in the next little while, please keep looking!

Regards,

David

Hello Zebedeus,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my first post on this forum and for your very generous comments! Like you, I really do like the style and history of the helmets of the various cavalry regiments of the Victorian and Edwardian British Army, hence my collection. Yes, the helmets are in near mint condition as are most of those in my collection as I strive to search out the best possible examples I can find! I will be posting more images of helmets from my collection in the next little while, please keep looking!

Regards,

David
Dear David,
at first you can call me simply Zeb; than I'll look forward to seeing other items from your collection. My main collecting focus is imperial german headdresses but I must confess that british helmets attract me a lot. So I bought a couple of them: a Eton's volunteers helmet and a 38th rifle volunteers' artists helmet. I posted both in this forum in general headgears.
Zeb.

David, fantastic helmets in beautiful condition! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dennis

Dear David,
at first you can call me simply Zeb; than I'll look forward to seeing other items from your collection. My main collecting focus is imperial german headdresses but I must confess that british helmets attract me a lot. So I bought a couple of them: a Eton's volunteers helmet and a 38th rifle volunteers' artists helmet. I posted both in this forum in general headgears.
Zeb.
Hello Zeb,

I saw (and posted "likes" to) your posts for your Artist's Rifles and Eaton University Rifle Volunteers helmets... they are terrific examples and also in really spectacular condition... no mothing or tears or damage to the shells... just lovely and exciting finds! I got my start in militaria collecting while I was living in Hanau, then West Germany in the mid 1980's, I started collecting German Empire period helmets, mostly officer patterns and had a number of infantry, artillery, dragoon and uhlan helmets mostly Prussian, Baden, Wurttemberg, Bavaria, Saxon and Hesse, again complete with parade bushes and in the case of the uhlan helmets their cords, plumes etc. I returned home and promptly sold the collection for many more times than I paid to acquire it. My next posting was to the United Kingdom and the passion for British cavalry helmets blossomed there and have been collecting dragoon helmets ever since!

Regards,

David

David, fantastic helmets in beautiful condition! Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,

Thank up for stopping to take a look at some of my collection, I will be posting more helmets in my collection soon! Thank you for your interest and your very generous comments!

Regards,

David

Welcome to the Forum, your helmets are really beautiful. Hope to see more (y)
Thank you so much!! I am so glad you appreciate the images of these helmets in my collection... I will be posting more pictures of helemets from my collection in the next little while so please continue to be on the lookout!

Best regards,

David

David,

I’m glad my posting inspired you to post pictures of your helmets. It’s great to find another collector. These pieces are in superb condition and I’m looking forward to seeing more. I love the Lancashire, in part because I was born there. 27 helmets is some collection - all cavalry?Where are you? I’m in Scotland.

Do you have David Rowe’s book - Head Dress of the British Heavy Cavalry?

Patrick

Back