brodie helmet construction video

woznotwos

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675048436_military-helmets_assembling-helmets_dipping-into-paint-tanks_wooden-crates

Interesting videos, but these are NOT Brodie helmets. These are American M1917 helmets, which are based on the British MkI. The Brodie helmet and the MkI are not one in the same, even if collectors use the term Brodie for all British/American helmets from WWI. The Brodie was the first helmet and had a different shape that was modified as the MkI. As a helmet collector and researcher on the subject I am nitpicking of course.

Many years after this film was shot, I had an office not far from the location shown. The paint oven was still there, but a scapulas bailer had been installed where the liners were assembled. The stamping dies for the helmets still sat on s rack outside my office. While I was employed there I was directed to scrap the dies. I asked if I could purchase them for their scrap value and told no. They belonged to The U.S. Government and Ford and had to be destroyed. It was with I heavy hart that I had them loaded into the Allegany Scrap wagon.

aicusv said:
Many years after this film was shot, I had an office no far from the location shown. The paint oven was still there, but a scapulas bailer had been installed where the liners were assembled. The stamping dies for the helmets still sat on s rack outside my office. While I was employed there I was directed to scrap the dies. I asked if I could purchase them for their cap value and told no. They belonged to The U.S. Government and Ford and had to be destroyed. It was with I heavy hart that I had them loaded into the Allegany Scrap wagon.

That's a shame. I have a few helmet presses and blocks for sun/pith helmets, so that's a shame these were scrapped.

At the time they were making these helmets in the next building the were building the Federal Trucks for the US Army. This was one of the "army trucks" using during the war. While I was working there I had a chance to go through some of the old records of products manufactured by the company. I found a reference to the production of French helmets, but not at what plant and our firm was not listed as a supplier of them in the French records. I can only assume that just as in the case of the US helmets we were a sub-contractor.

Note: Bad eyes and auto-correct don't go together.

Back