Can a Neusilber wappen be annealed

seagull

Just wondering if the metal composition of Neusilber would allow the process of annealing to soften the metal and restore some 'flexibility'.

It is a metal mainly out of copper, so normally a heat over 500°C should make the material more flexible. But I think you would destroy the patina of old „Neusilber“. I would try it with a piece of old junk. What do you want to do?

Well, the wappen in question IS a piece of junk! So brittle that someone I showed it to dropped it and it broke into three pieces. I have it back together as a 'cabinet' example but wondered if it could be repaired properly, after annealing.

Attachments

• 20210907_170318-1.jpg
    20210907_170318-1.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 29
Wow. Steve no.

The heat will almost certainly turn the Neusilber on the front to black.

Just let it be in my opinion.

You will find a good one, then sell that one you have now for a fair price based on condition and all is good.

Well, the wappen in question IS a piece of junk! So brittle that someone I showed it to dropped it and it broke into three pieces. I have it back together as a 'cabinet' example but wondered if it could be repaired properly, after annealing.
I’m sorry, but like Tony I think you'd do it worse than better. Soldering was the correct way to fix it and your repair doesn't look bad in my eyes. The heat would surely destroy the beautiful patina of the eagle.

Can't say I am surprised at this. I just had to ask as it was a topic I had never seen raised before and wanted some definite direction - which, once again, I have. Many thanks Gentlemen, my damaged little bird will stay in the cabinet while my search goes on.
Best regards to both, Steve

Back