Can anyone determine what this is?

Machiave11i

Greetings! I initially purchased this item for a costume and am having it shipped to me probably by next week. I was reading about the history of it and the seller has very little info on it so I thought I would ask you folks what your opinions are. I did some research on kaisersbunker and a few other sites and cannot find anything that matches this. Perhaps it is a forgery? I do not know. Regardless of the value I like the piece. Comments from the seller:

"This strange old helmet is made of heavy steel and measures 15 inches from front to back X 8 inches side to side X 10 inches tall with a 3 1/2 inch brass spike surrounded by brass oak leaves. Both the pivoting face and neck guards appear to be some sort of light weight tinned steel, with brass Kokarden side posts on each side. There is a very old, badly deteriorated cloth liner still present and barely attached to the interior of this old helmet."

This old helmet was worn by members of the "Oddfellows" society during various ceremonies which utilized elaborate symbolic costumes.

One also comes across theatrical/stage helmets which are similar to this....sometimes cloth covered cork.

Back