Canadian Cavalry Helmet

servicepub

As my first post I offer a recent addition to my collection, A Cavalry helmet to the Governor General's Body Guard. The liner is dated 1903 and War Department (WD) marked
file1596.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That is an excellent example! Any chance of getting pics of the liner and a close up of the helmet plate? Brian

yeomanry helmety's are nice pieces. GGBG is nice to see . I have seen lot's of the GGHG ones , some dated to the 20's .
Mark

Peter_Suciu said:
Welcome to the forum. I hope we'll see some of your other cavalry helmets!
Well, seeing as you asked... This is a helmet worn by the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians). It features a King's Crown and displays a distressed curb-chain.
ldsh%20cfb%20borden.jpg

Here is another helmet to the Lord Strathcona's Horse. This helmet is unusual in several respects. The pattern is that of the Household Cavalry rather than the more usual Dragoon style. The helmet skull is brass instead of silver and the plume is red instead of white over red. I would discount this as a fake except that the Regimental badge and the starburst are fitted to the wreath indicating a level of work that was not reflected in the price asked. The LdSH museum had not seen this pattern before so I welcome any comments from forum members.
ldsh%20clives%20new.jpg

A helmet as currently worn by the Governor General's Horse Guards. This one is in the Base Borden Museum but I am looking for one for my own collection (hint, hint)
gghg%20cfb%20borden.jpg

Watch what you wish for , that unit is chasing down those helmet's with a vegence. i know a few of the former Riding Club member's .
One did go through a sale in Port Perry last year though . A dealer . you may know him bought it. Only $700 or so.
Mark

Back