Canadian Militaria Show International Centre

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I brought the digital camera along last Sat when Margo and I tried to meet up with Cliff and Mark at the CM Show in Toronto. These 3 pics represent all that I found interesting:
PO8 webbing ensemble. It is very hard to find a matched set of the cartridge carriers. There is a left and right to each set.
M15Uberzug014.jpg
M15Uberzug015.jpg

The only thing that had a spike in the whole show:

M15Uberzug016.jpg
[/img]

Hey Brian,
That is a nice set of P 08 web gear, the left pouch is a difficult one to find, and the price can be double of the right pouch. I think it was Mark G. that told me that nearly all the surplus and old P 08 gear was piled up and burned to recover the brass.
Gus

Probably true Gus but some PO8 was also issued to the first Canadians to go to Britain in 1939. Quite a lot of it must have ended up over there as well.
My father who served in both the RAF and RCAF bomber command during WW2 told me that at the end of the war they were paraded and had to return their webbing which was being chopped up by service personel using machetes. Funny though, I have his web belt, webly holster(web) and first aid dressing with pouch. I have no clue how he saved those from the chopping block. By that time , he was a flying officer so maybe he pulled rank and kept his personal items?? Another aside, my mother used to threaten me with the web belt ie "when dad gets home you will get the belt" if I misbehaved! Don't worry boys, I was not abused....I only got the belt once and really deserved it. Once was enough!! I guess today, I could turn my parents into the police for such use of force. Brian

Ah, the belt, for me it was father's leather belt, it made a loud snapping noise as he pulled it from the belt loops, I too got it once, and deserved it.
US web gear is one of the easest bits to find, I think that most soldiers took their entire kit home at the end of the war. Even weapons, they were not allowed to keep the rifles and pistols issued to them, but many did. Also, captured arms were sent home in large numbers. I have a friend who sent a large trunk of linen home from Germany after WWII, he is still upset that when it arrived, it was full of worthless nazi daggers.
Gus

Gus:
I think that the only noble thing to do is to offer to remove those worthless Nazi daggers from your friends house. Best to alleviate your friends suffering. Brian

Just an aside here for our younger collectors. After the Prussian victory over the French in 1871 (Franco Prussian War) many countries including the US and England adopted a spike top on their infantry helmets and a ball top for their artillery. The British and their colonies called these home service helmets. They are a cork helmet covered in cloth. The cloth can be white, dark blue or green. Many of these from the Victorian era have exquisite front plates on them. They are very collectible. Brian

Brian sorry I was sick as a dog and could not go to the show. The 08 Web had a mid-war replacement the 1918 -1921-1927-1929 ,all these were basiclally the same sets they were changed in a few small ways and
recieved a new designatin. The company What Price Glory has sets of ths stuff for sale.
The webbing is a cross between 08 pattern and 39 pattern .
The set you have a pick of is from a nice collector named Peter he and wife collect all the stuff to go with the webbing .
Must not have had some of the dealer's he usually gets .He was charging a bit much for his tables though.
The museum sent 4 or 5 vehicles there including the sherman and the sheridan.
Mark

No problem Mark, perhaps we will meet up at the June show. I guess the SOS in Louisville spoiled me. I will check out that companies web site. Brian

Back