Canadian Universal Pattern Helmet

Peter_Suciu

This is one of my new acquisitions. This is a 1890s era Canadian Universal Pattern helmet to the Lorne (Scots) Rifles. The unit was raised in the 1860s and later took part in the First World War. The Canadian military had adopted the Blue Cloth "Home Service Helmet" that was basically the same as the British Home Service Helmet, but then decided instead of using a white Foreign Service Helmet that one helmet would suffice and it was the Universal Pattern Helmet.

I picked up this helmet at the recent Hansa House Show in Mississauga (Toronto). I am rather pleased to add this to my collection.

LorneRifles1_zpsc0167bf6.jpg

LorneRifles2_zpsbaae1587.jpg

LorneRifles5_zps680d19e7.jpg

LorneRifles4_zps57346070.jpg

LorneRifles6_zps01f3ad63.jpg

This is one of my new acquisitions. This is a 1890s era Canadian Universal Pattern helmet to the Lorne (Scots) Rifles. The unit was raised in the 1860s and later took part in the First World War. The Canadian military had adopted the Blue Cloth "Home Service Helmet" that was basically the same as the British Home Service Helmet, but then decided instead of using a white Foreign Service Helmet that one helmet would suffice and it was the Universal Pattern Helmet.

I picked up this helmet at the recent Hansa House Show in Mississauga (Toronto). I am rather pleased to add this to my collection.

LorneRifles1_zpsc0167bf6.jpg

LorneRifles2_zpsbaae1587.jpg

LorneRifles4_zps57346070.jpg

LorneRifles6_zps01f3ad63.jpg
Hey Peter very nice helmet!! I recently purchased a Canadian Universal Pattern Helmet that is British Marked 1885...it is white in color with a period Canadian Artillery badge and ball top. I noticed the base of my Artillery Helmet has the same base as yours....do you know if the Canadian Artillery were using this same type similar base in 1885? I understand Regs came out in 1900...but prior to this, were the leaf bases used? I find the types of tips and bases are all over the place...am I correct in thinking in 1885 anything was possible?

A good article here that has the RCA helmet:

https://milart.blog/2013/08/30/canadian-universal-pattern-helmet/

This one is good too on the Canadian Artillery and the badge:

Cheers.

Peter

Back